• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 amlewand

amlewand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:10 AM

My husband and I are planning a trip to Cozumel this summer but we aren't sure if the oil spill will affect the beaches there. Will there still be places to snorkel, swim, etc.?

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:53 AM

No way is that oil spill coming anywhere near these shores. Tbe winds and the currents are totally wrong for that to happen.

#3 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:11 PM

The island and the mainland sit in one of the strongest parts of the Loop Current. If you open the attachment and look at the maps you will see that although the exact route of the Loop Current can change it's Northern flow near the island is permanent and would prevent anything from the GOM to enter the Caribbean Basin.

http://www.wundergro...loopcurrent.gif

Cozumel Diving

#4 cozdude

cozdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:rock & ice climbing, mountaineering, snowboarding, diving, mountain biking, mixed martial arts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

The island and the mainland sit in one of the strongest parts of the Loop Current. If you open the attachment and look at the maps you will see that although the exact route of the Loop Current can change it's Northern flow near the island is permanent and would prevent anything from the GOM to enter the Caribbean Basin.

http://www.wundergro...loopcurrent.gif

Perhaps, but according to this article, there are concerns about the Yucatan:

http://www.accuweath..._the_disa_1.asp

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:57 AM

If you scroll half way down in that accuweather article, you can see that the direction of the loop current is totally in a northerly direction beginning well south of Cuba, swoping north past the eastern Yucatan penisula and on up to the Louisiana area then curving around between Cuba and the Florida keys before continuing to head north into the Atlantic.

The loop current would have to reverse directions for an oil spill to get from where it is now to the Yucatan. If I'd read the story alone I would have been getting jimmied up. But the loop current map provided directly contradicts the text of that article.

#6 cozdude

cozdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:rock & ice climbing, mountaineering, snowboarding, diving, mountain biking, mixed martial arts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:11 AM

If you scroll half way down in that accuweather article, you can see that the direction of the loop current is totally in a northerly direction beginning well south of Cuba, swoping north past the eastern Yucatan penisula and on up to the Louisiana area then curving around between Cuba and the Florida keys before continuing to head north into the Atlantic.

The loop current would have to reverse directions for an oil spill to get from where it is now to the Yucatan. If I'd read the story alone I would have been getting jimmied up. But the loop current map provided directly contradicts the text of that article.

While I generally agree with you Carey, currents, like atmospheric jet streams and the like, spawn eddies, which are capable of traveling in very different directions than the main current or flow. I think that is the concern. Perhaps the narrow constriction of the Mexico/Cuba channel (perhaps there's an actual name for this?) forecloses any possibility of this and any risk is to the upper reaches of the Yucatan peninsula, or even its more westerly facing aspects, I don't know. But let's certainly hope that the fragile reef systems of Cozumel never suffer the insult of this manmade tragedy. If it did, a little piece of me would just die.

Just two days 'til I return to my beloved Cozumel! :)

#7 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:06 PM

The Loop current can cause eddies in the GOM, but it cannot reverse it's path back into the Caribbean no matter what the local wind speeds are. From Guatamala to the Yucatan Channel is the strongest part of the Loop Current and this area has been described as the strongest current area in any ocean. Once the Loop Current passes through the straights of Florida it becomes the Gulf Stream and makes a hair-pin turn at the Southern tip of Florida and goes up the East coast of the USA and then over to the UK. You should just research Loop Current in Google and check for yourself. Skip the prognostications of an American press that did not even know the difference between Loop Current and Fruit Loops until last week. Oil spills, hurricanes......these things scare people and sell newspapers and add to viewings of websites. The media always takes a worse case scenario. It is better to not be taken in by alarmist headlines. Reality is bad enough.

Cozumel Diving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users