• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joe1856

joe1856

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:33 AM

My wife and are planning a trip to the east side. In stead of hiring one taxi for the whole trip we want to just catch a cab when we are ready to go to the next stop. Do taxis wait outside the restaurants/bars or well we have hire one for the whole trip? Thanks for your help!

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:48 AM

I would not count on that. The taxis usually have been hired for the day, and they do not cruise the east side.

There is also very little (if any) phone service so they couldn't even call a taxi for you.

With it getting dark early, the beach clubs close around 5pm.  

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:48 AM

I don't recall ever seeing taxis wait. If they were to do that, they would be losing fares on the west side of the island.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:23 AM

I wouldn't count on it either and I was going to say that a waiter would be happy to call a cab for you on his cell.  But I'm wondering now about the reception over there. You always see cabs waiting --especially on the weekends -- at Chen Rio, Coconuts and Mezcalitos but as mentioned they may be waiting for people.

You could ask the price to have the same cabbie come back and pick you up in, say, 3 hours.and compare that to the price to have him wait and/or drive you to several clubs.

#5 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:54 AM

There is usually a taxi at Coconuts. Usually! It's not something you can count on and I wouldn't wait too late in the day to start watching for one. Busses tend to show up daily also. We stayed on the east side for a week in 2013 and could "just about always" catch a taxi between the bars. We've even caught rides with other tourists. Just offered to buy them a beer at the next stop. But like I said....don't count on it and be prepared to walk a ways.

Dono

It's those changes in latitudes!

#6 joe1856

joe1856

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for the info. I think we'll play it safe and just hire a car for the day. We'll be there next week, i just hope the weather holds out!

#7 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:05 PM

You'll enjoy your own car much better. There are plenty of beautiful places to stop and explore. Oh yea...bars too. Tell Cuco at Coconuts Dono and Jerri said Hola! The fish tacos at Rasta Bar can't be beat!

It's those changes in latitudes!

#8 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:29 AM

Due for a norte mid-week.  Just remember that when the wide is howling on this side, it can be flat, flat, flat and beautiful on the east side.  So don't let west side weather deter you from heading over!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users