• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GDSmith

GDSmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:32 PM

Are there different medical facilities based on medical need that you can recommend?

Where are they located and do they have someone on site that speaks English?

Also, I see the post from March that speaks highly of the two Dentist moving to 10 Ave and Calle 5.

Does anyone have experience with other DDS that they would recommend?

Thanks,

Greg

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:46 PM

There are two clinics on the island that have English speaking doctors and a good level of care.  The small Clinica San Miguel on Calle 6 Norte between Ave 5 and 10 is favored by many as it tends to be a bit cheaper than the other one, the CMC which is located on Calle 1 Sur with Avenida 50.

No one goes to the government hospitals unless they are desperate.  For major surgeries or speciality items like vein removal, for example, hernias, that kind of thing, it's sometimes worth it to go to Cancun.  You can fly over cheaply via Maya Air.  And for serious stuff at very affordable prices try Star Medica in Merida which is a big center for international medical tourism and has some of the finest doctors in the world, I'm told.

If you are local and can prove it with a card, you should be given discounts at the Clinica San Miguel and the CMC.  I am told that both take US insurance also but best check on that.

As to dentists, I never go to anyone except Luis Erives who has offices one storefront in from the intersection of Avenida 65 and Calle 11, northeast corner.  He does really excellent work at affordable prices.  Had numerous crowns done by him and he also removed several of my daughter's wisdom teeth.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:06 PM

There is also the hyperbaric chamber on Calle 5.  They offered 24x7 medical care along with the hyperbaric.  They are in the process of building a complete new facility.

As far as which one I go to, I always go to San Miguel Clinic.  I have been an in-patient twice, and received very good care.

Some take medical insurances, but do yourself a favor and guy trip insurance.  

There are a couple other clinics around, but the ones Carey mentioned, and this one are the most popular.

As for dentist, I go to Yamine.  http://dentalcarecozumel.com/

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:32 PM

I would never choose the Hyperbaric chamber on Calle 5. They are well known for overcharging, and zinged me once already. Never again!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#5 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:28 PM

My husband's experience with Clinica San Miguel was very good. They have a very caring and competent staff, though they seem somewhat expensive... for Mexico that is. Our local friends say, basically, you get what you pay for. As far as paying, we pulled out the plastic and paid. At the end we got lots of corroborating paperwork and submitted it to our Insurance Co who reimbursed us. I had to get a bunch of it retyped with my husband's name spelled correctly... not a minor typo. I was afraid our Ins. co wouldn't accept it, so I persisted. Also, one of my husband's fondest memories is of the food (!!) Evidently it comes in from a restaurant.

My own experience was with the government hospital on 11 and 15 (?) twice.  Both very late at night (1am-ish) with increasingly painful earaches. Yes, I was desperate, but also grateful that I was seen by a Dr. very quickly and given prescriptions for an infection once and an inflammation the second time. Being a diver the connection was made and I now use eardrops daily while I'm there.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#6 GDSmith

GDSmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:30 PM

Need a update on the medical facilities, has anything changed? Is the level of service or specialty different at each location?

We used Yazmin Ibrahim M. Alfie DDS in 2015 and were very happy.

Missed 2016 due to throat cancer, but will be back in January.

I have some swallow issues, so I am trying to be proactive to check my options if needed.

Thanks

Greg

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:47 AM

Hi Greg:

The hospitals, and clinics you would most likely choose from. Below are the website so that you can see what their specialities are, and locations.

I have been to all of these hospitals for one thing or another.  They are all clean, up to date,and the prices are reasonable.

CMC Hospital

http://costamed.com....zumel-facility/

International Hospital (Hyperbaric) has been compeletely rebuilt, and is really top of the line  They also take some US medical insurances

http://www.sssnetwor...cozumel-mexico/

San Miguel Clinic:  

http://www.medicasanmiguel.com.mx/

Amerimed Hospital:

http://www.amerimedc...dex.php?lang=en

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 GDSmith

GDSmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:10 AM

Thank you

CMC has been a wealth of information over the years!

Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users