• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Ham

Andrew Ham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

Hey everyone.   I am new to the island, gonna be here for 3 months or so.  Any suggestions on where to buy a bicycle or used motorcycle? 

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:44 PM

You  might want to stay away from mopeds.  They have a different sized wheel base than motorcycles so the balance center is gong to take some getting used to.  Also until you know the roads and where the worse potholes are, you'd do better to stay off these somewhat dangerous little machines.

Biking is a good option here because so many people ride them that cars and mopeds are very aware of you.  Downside is you had best beware of riiding in places where there are a lot of tourists in rental cars.  Because they are NOT always accustomed to dealing with cyclists.

Bikes are probably going to be cheapest at the Chedraui and the Mega.  But they won't adjust or service them for you there.  So if you get one out of the box from this kind of store and can't adjust it to suit, you will have the added cost of then taking it in to one of the many great and cheap bike repair shops on the island.

Buy from a bike store like the one 1/3 block south of the intersection of Juarez and the 30 Avenida, east side of the street, and they'll get you all set up before you ride away.  There are plenty of bike shops on the island but that's the easiest one to tell you how to find and they have a couple of guys always working on repairs there.  There's another bike shop that also repairs but has less merchandise at the dead end of Avenida 50 going south.  And there's a small store across from the old Pemex on the cross island road going to the other side of the island, north side of the street.

Paula, if you read this, do you remember the address of that bike store that's in the north section of the city?  The guy had cruiser bikes for sale and could order them.  I got a couple of bikes from him at one point but for the life of me I can't remember the coordinates of that place.

#3 obispo

obispo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:almost anything

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:42 PM

Andrew:

Carey is giving you sound advice. If there is any doubt in your mind, please look at the "El Semanario de Cozumel" web sight. Of the 16 local stories with pictures, about half are about vehicular
accidents and half of those involve motorcycle and/or scooters. The good part is that vehicular
accidents are "news" in Cozumel (good in the sense when compared to "news" in most cities, e.g. murders, rapes, etc.) The bad part of accidents is that they occur very frequently.

obispo

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:52 PM

There is also a local used bike FB page

https://www.facebook...RECYCLING.2013/

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 Andrew Ham

Andrew Ham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:16 PM

Thank you all for responding to my question. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Transportation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users