5 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewDrummond

AndrewDrummond

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:24 PM

Hello everyone,

I am an American who is married to a Mexican National woman with 2 children for 10 years who is moving back to Mexico after 2 years in Canada. My Family and I are waiting for immigration papers to be completed. I am told that My Family and I will wait for approximately one year before Canada will make a decision. We are also told that we must leave Canada while we wait. I need to find a 3 bedroom home that is safe for my family and will cost around $300.00-$400.00 USD monthly. We are looking to ensure our children can attend school for ages 13 and 16 years of age. I plan on traveling between Michigan and Cozumel until my wife can find employment in Mexico. I assume we are able to get Cable $ DSL Internet service and find enough furniture to get by until I am able to travel to Mexico with our car and belongings. I do not know what is required for my FM3 if I am married to a Mexican National spouse but hope it will be easy to obtain. If anyone plans on driving to Cozumel or needs transportation let me know because it is a long trip by car and I will enjoy the company. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you need items from the USA give me a email and I can pickup small items on the way down...My family and I are worried but feel somehow this may be an opportunity to better our lifes.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:12 AM

I'm sure others will jump in here but here are a couple of thoughts:

Glad you're going to rent for awhile rather than plunking down a lot of money to buy or build as that will let you see what its like to live here before you take the plunge. This is one of the safest places in Mexico and has a lot of modernities like a good airport, good internet and the like. But it's also very expensive by Mexican standards. The weather is also unpleasantly sticky and hot from June through October and is a deal killer for some. And, finally, we are one of the 10 pins in the Caribbean Hurricane Bowlarama with September and October being joyous (not!) watch and wait months in these parts. We've been slammed by some really bad ones in the recent past. No one hurt but a real PAIN cleaning up afterwards and waiting for things to get back to normal.

I don't believe you will easily find a 3 bedroom house for $500/month. $800-$1000 and up is more like it. There is at least one listed on the La Bodega section of the forums that I know is nice. Offered by OliverC.

Electricity is quite expensive here and could easily run $300-$400 US/month in the hot season for a 3 bedroom house running only the bedroom AC's at night. Water is cheap, taxes are low, phone with high speed internet starts at around $40/month up to $70. Cable runs around $50/month if you include some premium channels.

Food prices are similar to a smaller town stateside.

I'm quoting dollar pricing here so right now you do well on the exchange rate as long as it lasts -- currentltly a dollar buys around 12.5 pesos but that can and will flucuate over time, of course.

#3 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:22 AM

my 2 cents.... when you get here, stay at the days inn or something like that for a few weeks until you find a place. you are going to have drive around. while i am not saying to steer away from the property managers, if you have the money, that's fine.... but to find something in that price range for a house, you are going to have to look for yourself.
if you are not familiar with the area, make friends with a local (there are many on this board who would likely be willing to help) to drive you around and tell you the good bad and ugly about certain areas of cozumel, and what is a good deal and what is highway robbery.
i wish you and your family the best.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:06 AM

This post raises all kinds of issues. A Mexican with full English can easily find a job, even at the start of dead season, but salaries might be about $400 dollars monthly working a six day, 48 hour week. Regarding the kids, are they fluent in Spanish and potentially have Mexican nationality? You're looking at significant expenses for decent schools. I hope you have a comfortable cushion of money and are very flexible in your monthly budget. If your wife as a Mexican needs your financial assistance in supporting the household, especially if the children are or could be Mexican, you might possible qualify for a working FM3. There would be a whole bunch of legal questions and I'd seek advice ASAP. Any credentials and documents in English may need to be translated and provided. The cost of living is not cheap, not while maintaining even frugal North American standard of living. Potential income from employment is very low in terms of potential cost of household operating expenses. In order to qualify for a rentista FM3 which would allow significant household goods importation, you'd need to prove an income level of the correct type of income.

Why/How did Cozumel come into the picture as a place to be while waiting for Canadian immigration?

#5 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:13 PM

Charles I was wondering this myself........Why/How did Cozumel come into the picture as a place to be while waiting for Canadian immigration?
There are no less than a lot of places in Mexico to sit it out , that would or could be easier to get to and from and cheaper to live in, than Cozumel...

#6 Kathie C

Kathie C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:11 AM

Newbie,
If you are intent to move to Cozumel while you wait,our house may be something you would consider, at least for several months. It is a fully furnished 3 br 2 1/2 bath w/ A/C, internet & cable, very safe, very good location. We rent it out by the week, but as it is slow season, we would consider a longer term monthly lease. We would have to talk about price, but like the others said, you will not find something in the range you are looking. And it would be monthly rental + electricity. We are in Cozumel until the 9th, if you are interested look us up on vrbo and inquire through that email.

www.vrbo.com/176231

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users