• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:34 PM

You sure will have problems with $100 dollar bills, regardless of how crisp they are.

The crisp denominations you want are $1. $5, $10's and max on the $20's.  More $1, & $5's.  

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#22 GDSmith

GDSmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:23 PM

Coz2wonder

I thought I was good to go with $50's and maybe some $100, to exchange at the bank when I arrive, rather than carry a big wad of $20.'s

However, your most recent post on the topic, seems to go back to small bills?

Thanks

Greg

#23 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:24 PM

I've had a few issues using $100 bills at some places.

Will I have a problem at Elektra or a bank with the new style crisp $100 bills.

Thanks

Of course you will. US $100's are the most-counterfeited currency in the world. Most island business will refuse them (and often $50's) outright. It doesn't matter if they're new-style, old-style, silver certificates, or whatever.

#24 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:35 PM

The biggest US denomination we bring is $20, and even then, if it's ripped a bit, shops won't accept them. Lots of $1 and $5. I save the envelopes with the self stick flaps from the bank here, and put pesos and US dollars in separate labeled envelopes, and write the amount on them. One dollar bills and pesos each get their own envelope, bigger denominations get their own envelope too.

#25 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

I'll bring about $1 in US change just so I can make a phone call at the airport when I get backe to the states. No, I don't have a cell phone. When I leave on February first I will have a few quarters and $2000 pesos I saved from last year to get me from the airpotr in Cancun to Cozumel. If I didn't have any pesos I would hit an ATM at the airport and take out enough to get me to Cozumel. When I need more money on the island I will use an Atm at Mega or usually at the bank next to McDonnalds on 1st. and 30th. Even if they give me large bills it's no problem changing them at the grocery stores. I am in there every day buying beer and something else so it works. I would not go to a small restaurant or try to a small item from a vendor with a $500 peso bill. They don't have the change. It's really not a problem but don't expect a store to give you change for your bills unless you purchase something.

#26 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:31 PM

Steve,  We will be there the first week in Feb. and was wondering if you knew anything about how Sandra is doing.  Is she still living at the place on Cross Island Road?  We'd like to stop and see her if we can find her.  Maybe we can meet up for a beer this time as we seem to miss each other every year.  We were down in July and got Arturo and John and we went up to the old El Guacamaya for dinner one night and had a great time.  

#27 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:02 PM

Ron...Sandra should still be living next door to where I am staying. I haven't heard anything different.

I'm always open for a beer. Will be down on the 1st of Feb. Need a day or two to get settled in. I was told someone stold the battery out of the Explorer so have to get a new one. Arturo is my neighbor too so might be able to get Sandra and Arturo to come along also. Let me know.

#28 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:26 AM

You sure will have problems with $100 dollar bills, regardless of how crisp they are.

The crisp denominations you want are $1. $5, $10's and max on the $20's.  More $1, & $5's.  

On our last trip, I brought about $500 in $50's.  I had no problem exchanging them at Electra.  A few years back they had given me an ID card and said that I did not have to show my passport any more, but this last time they ignored the card and needed the passport again.  The tellers looked at the ID card and acted like they had never seen one of them before!

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#29 Golden Gopher

Golden Gopher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Travel,Snorkeling,Food & Wine, anything by the lake.

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

I've always purchased pesos in the states. Current exhange rate at Wells Fargo is $13.75MX to $1.00US. It makes it easier to tip locals so they don't need to make trip to the bank. I am encountering some trip/tour vendors that are requesting US dollars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users