• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 minnesota nice

minnesota nice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:26 PM

We are renting a villa for an upcoming trip. Anyone have advice on where the best place is to buy beer and liquor.

#2 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:07 PM

You really have to go around and check prices. Mega sometimes has a sale and you can get Sol at a decent price of around $111 pesos a 12 pack. Other times Chedraui has a really good sale and you can buy the same 12 pack for around $96 pesos and get a free bag of potato chips. Then again Sam's can have a bargain where you can get a 12 pack of Dos Equis for $104 pesos. Oxxo also sometimes sells beer lower than anyone. It's just a matter of normal everyday shopping to find the best price. 

#3 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:49 AM

Oh, Steve you are going to hate the beer prices this year. We've been here since October and the cheapest we have found Sol is 121 and Dos Equis at 140. SAMs regular sale has been 150 on Dos Equis.

#4 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:45 AM

I am already hating the prices but they really aren't that bad considering the exchange rate. Last February Dos Equis at Mega was $147 pesos and the exchange rate was 12.5 so that seems to have gone down a little in price. It's my favorite beer and never really seems to go on sale. I hope as Carnaval nears Sol will start going down in price. I still have a month to go before I arrive but my friends are already there so they will know where the best prices are. It's like buying gas for your car. You pay the price.

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:35 AM

One of the best liquor buys here is tequila.  Tons of variety even if you only go to one of the big box groceries for it -- which I would recommend. Jose Cuervos is kind of middle quality for tequila in Mexico and typically sells for half or more the price of the same size bottle in the states.  And this is not taking into account the exchange rate which is very favorable to the dollar right now.  If you like hard liquor, try out some of the better tequilas while you're on the island.  The best stuff is great for sipping.  My favorite that is readily available is Cazadores  Picture of a stag on the label and comes in a tube.  There's a cheaper knock off that also features a stag.  This is the more expensive one that comes with the packing tube typically.

Best deal I've found on Cazadores is the 2 liter bottle for $320 pesos at Sam's Club.  At the current exchange rate that comes to about $22 US for more or less 2 quarts of excellent sipping quality tequila. 

If you don't want to bother to exchange money, you can safely use a US credit card or pay in US cash at the Mega.  You will typically get your change back in pesos but they won't skin you on the exchange rate very much as restaurants and shops will tend to do.

I will only use my credit card at the Mega and Sam's Club.  And have never had a problem with fraud.  I have some concerns about using it at the  Chedraui unless they've changed their store policies of how they deal with the receipts.

And, finally, if using a credit card, check in advance re foreign transaction fees.  I use a Chase Sapphire card here because there are no such fees.  There is a  yearly fee for the card but since I purchase a LOT of food and considerable liquor at the Mega, the savings on foreign fees far outweighs the yearly charge.

#6 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:43 PM

I am right with you Carey. I hate a foreign transaction fee and you only have to purchase $3166 a year worth of booze to break even with the fee for the card. I spend around $3600 a year so that's not to bad.

#7 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:22 AM

Another good deal is Kahlua. Super cheap, we pay over double in the States.

We regret neglecting to pick up some tequila and Controy, just got back home yesterday.

#8 Skibum

Skibum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:53 AM

Wine at Ched and beer at Sam's seems to work for us.

On the liquor front, I'd highly suggest the older Flor de Cana rums, the older the better. Wonderful sipping rum!

#9 YoloCoz

YoloCoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

I was at Mega yesterday, looking for Tequila and found some (Cuervo and something else) but when I read the labels it looked like they were the watered stuff (38 proof)...Where can I get the hard stuff...or is it at the Mega and I just red the bottle wrong or looked in the wrong place?

#10 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:59 PM

No one's mentioned Covi? 30 & 2 North.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#11 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:31 PM

Yolocoz, do you mean 76 proof, AKA 38% alcohol? The proof is double the alcohol number. 78 proof is pretty standard for most liquors. Sometimes you can find 80 proof. Your tequila wasn't watered down, it was standard.

The next step up would be Everclear, 100 proof. Not sure I'd want that for vacation!

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:20 AM

Europea (next to Mega) has the largest selection of wines, and liquors.  I find the prices competitive with the grocery stores.

They also have a small deli.

Covi's  remodeled the place, so everything is on display, and you can actually touch the merchandise now.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#13 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:32 PM

Does anybody know if Cove still carries Canadian Mist?

#14 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:52 PM

Europa also has an upright freezer with many different cuts of meat in in. I found the steaks to be very good. Almost better than choice in the states.

#15 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:15 AM

they were the watered stuff (38 proof).

I'm having trouble believing 38 proof. There are beers that strong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users