• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Noah Poligies

Noah Poligies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:47 AM

Hello! I have looked around online at various (English) listings for apartment rentals on Cozumel and I'm trying to figure out what my best next step is. My thought now is to find a place to stay for a few days while I look around town for something longer term. What's the rental landscape like? I'm looking for a decent studio or one bedroom place in a decent part of town, hopefully for less than $700/mo. after all utilities. I know electricity is a wild card here.. Does this seem doable? Thanks!

#2 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

It's more than doable! I was looking not long ago and had several options offered. Let me go back through and see what I can find.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

Yes, that's a very good idea to stay in cheap local digs for a few days and walk or, preferably, bike around town.  There are plenty of one bedrooms and studios in the el centro area.  Just go around looking for Se Renta signs.  Don't rent a place sight unseen.

$700 US/month is more than plenty to allow for rent.  You can possibly get a small house rental in Corpus Christi for that amount but in any case do take into account if you will be paying for the electricity.  Electricity is expensive here and I would advise renting a place with AC in the bedroom with a mini split AC being more cost effective and easier for you to clean the filter.

Centro is the most happening part of the city for young singles.  Lot of late night stuff, restaurants, etc.  If I were you I would concentrate my search first on the area bordered on the north by Avenida 30, on the north by Calle 14 and on the south by Calle 11.

It will be helpful if you speak a little Spanish.

#4 Noah Poligies

Noah Poligies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

Awesome, thanks for the info! Very helpful to have a specific area to know to look in. As for the cheap local digs- any recommendations? I see a few airbnb places for around $30/night… is that about as good as I'll find? I do think I want to figure that out before getting in town since I'll be lugging bags around. 

On the topic of electricity- I read somewhere about different places having different rates. Is that true? I've read about some pretty intense monthly bills. Thanks!

#5 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:04 PM

I can't find the information I was hoping to find. If you have a Facebook account, join the group Cozumel 4 You. A lot of locals are members of that group, and a significant number have properties like you want. Many of them had openings a month ago. Also, check with Sarah Pritchett. She has some nice apartments in Corpus Christi not far from the grocery store and not a bad walk to town at all. She is on Facebook as Sarah Williams Pritchett. Good luck!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#6 Noah Poligies

Noah Poligies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

Excellent, thank you!

#7 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:54 PM

I had a bill for $8700 pesos for a month but had the air on 24/7. I'll never do that again. It's my understanding that once you go over a certain amount (kilowatt hours) then the rates go up to a higher catagory then it can go up again if you exceede another bracket then it takes around 6 months to get you bill back to normal again after you stop using the extra electric. You shouldn't have to worry about using air in January, February, or March if you have good air flow through the house. Some houses can be like ovens so keep that in mind when looking for a place. Lots of air flow and windows. A front and back door with a screen can be a great help especially if the front of the house is to the east or west.

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:26 PM

good advice, Steve.  I will add that you want no south exposure or as little as possible.

#9 luvfish

luvfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:32 AM

Hi ---I have a three bedroom place . Avail now...... great location in Corpus Cristi. Very resonable. Weekly or monthly rental
Contact anet anetprandi@gmail.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users