• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chippy182002

chippy182002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

Could anyone help me find events, dates and times for carnival this year? We are traveling in a few weeks and I believe we will be there for it this year!
Thank you

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:20 PM

this may help:http://www.cozumelmy...+carnival +2015

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

The date should center around Ash Wednesday. There is a Facebook page run by the Carnaval Committiee. However, just a couple of days ago the mayors office released a public statement,  that the dates had not yet been decided on and that the dates would be chosen to increase tourism. Whatever that means. They said they would make a decision, in the first couple weeks of January.

Cozumel Diving

#4 Astoria Fiero

Astoria Fiero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Travel, automobile hobby- restoration, and collection.

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:22 PM

Let's see---postpone finalizing the Carnival dates to INCREASE tourism. Make sense to me, tourists never plan their vacation ahead!

#5 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:36 AM

My personal feeling is that the powers that be, will recognize the fact that thousands of people are planning on being here for the 'actual' Carnaval  time frame and leave the dates as they should be. They really need to think about two things: #1 Tourists start planning their vacations way in advance, as you stated. #2 Carnaval's date is set astronomically. It is the same all over the world. To change the date to attempt to make it even more profitable, kind of ruins the entire deal. The entire Latin Catholic world would be celebrating one day and we would be celebrating another.

Cozumel Diving

#6 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:32 AM

City Officials have postponed Carnaval in years past when it conflicted with City Elections. Since drinking alcohol is banned during the election weekend it would sort of put a damper on the fun since a lot of drinking takes place during Carnaval!  As such the celebration of Carnaval and the parades would be moved to another weekend.

Are there any city Elections coming up?

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:21 AM

Is is really news that the city hasn't confirmed dates a month out?  Seems like that is usually the norm.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#8 chippy182002

chippy182002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:54 PM

Where is Moby dick time? Is this a place where tourists can go watch? How much is it to get in and where can you pre purchase tickets?

Also is the "newer parque Andres cozumel" the park across from margaritaville?

Thank you I'm advance for your help!!!

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:21 AM

You can find out info about what's going on from the Carnaval FB page.https://www.facebook...carnavalcozumel

I have the program of events being held at Moby Dicks, which is south on 65, next to AKI grocery store.  The next events will be Feb 12th, 13, and 14th are events at MD starting around 6pm up to 1:30 am. 

However, it is the date prior to these ones that the competition for King, and Queen (adult, and juveniles) take place.

We're pretty much now just waiting for the carnival to begin, and during the day, the dance troops will be roaming the streets, performing at random.

All activities during the parades, and after will take place at the Palacio, which is south on Melgar & 11 ave (Mega Supermarket would be a landmark). 

Watch from the street, that's the most fun.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 chippy182002

chippy182002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:57 AM

Thank you for the info! We made it out to the crowing last night. Beautiful!!!!!

Any recommendations on where to watch the parades with young children? Or is it pretty much anywhere?

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:53 AM

It gets pretty crowded, and the last night of the parade is really the best.  I think some of the best spots might be at the flag pole, near the ferry pier, around Sr. Frog's...shot, don't think there is a bad spot, but get there early to secure an upfront seat.  You can talk folding chairs if you want.

Not sure what the restrictions are this year with entering the Palcio with backpacks.  Last year they where restricted.

There is also a "carnival" with children's rides.  

Anonymous

#12 chippy182002

chippy182002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:56 PM

Thank you for your help! Hope I'm not sounding crazy with all my questions!!!

What times do the parades start? Any idea of when they hit the mega area?

Last question, I hope, is where to park during the parades so that we can get in and out probably before it's completely over!

#13 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:15 AM

This year the parades are scheduled to start a 7:00 pm.  Last year they actually started on time, a first since I've been on the island.  We'll see if they'll continue that this year.  Since the parade starts at the Palacio they'll pass by Mega shortly after they start. 

We walk to the parade, so I don't have suggestions on where to park.  Sorry!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users