• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PamF

PamF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:24 PM

That would be cenotes not denotes!! (Darn autocorrect) I know that centers are abundant on the mainland. Was wondering if there are any on Cozumel?

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:14 PM

There are tons of cenotes on the island, which you can see as you're flying in or out. A few are easy to visit: there's one in a park on 65 Avenida, one near the waiting area for the car ferry, and one near the Caleta.

As far as I know, diving, snorkeling, or swimming in cenotes on the island takes significant prior arrangement as the above ones are not appropriate for diving (too many crocodiles, in one case!) and the remainder are on private or restricted property.

#3 PamF

PamF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

Thanks!

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:55 PM

There must be a diveable cenote on the main road, south.  I keep seeing divers, with gear on, entering off the main road into a jungle patch.

I've been seeing it for a number of years now.  But, in the past year, have seen more then ever before.

Perhaps, someone knows about it, and can inform.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

I know there are some archaeological dives that take place in some of the cenotes on the island and I do know there are at least two guides who can arrange on-island cenote dives with some prior notice. I'm not aware of any at which you can just show up and dive, as is possible with cenotes on the mainland.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:47 AM

I have gone with this tour op in Playa, and they offer interesting cenote tours.  There is nothing on the island can would offer you anything like what is available on the mainland.

http://www.playadelc...com/cenotes.htm

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users