• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wayne & cathy

wayne & cathy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:50 PM

my wife and i and 2 other couples are going to Cozumel in march. Two in our group are very eager to try out some deep sea fishing, my question is - is it necessary to book this in advance or can we arrange something once we are there. The web sites i have visited so far urge booking in advance but also say that a minimum party of four is required. We were assuming we could connect with a couple others at the resort with the same interests. Also, we will be staying at the Occidental Allegro and would welcome any input from anyone who may be familiar with this resort. Thanks, Wayne

#2 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:39 AM

Booking in advance is a good idea with any trip that you are sure you want to go on. I don't understand the deal with a minimum of four. I have never heard of that before, unless it is not a private trip. Trips are based on a flat price per half day or full day.

Cozumel Diving

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:38 PM

my wife and i and 2 other couples are going to Cozumel in march. Two in our group are very eager to try out some deep sea fishing, my question is - is it necessary to book this in advance or can we arrange something once we are there. The web sites i have visited so far urge booking in advance but also say that a minimum party of four is required. Thanks, Wayne

Fishing charter prices are quoted as the maximum number of people that can go out on that craft for that amount. Two people can go for the same price as four. But you are paying for four people. Because the capitain doesn't consider he is making enough money to pay his expenses if he charges half price just because there are two people.

March -- especially late March -- there's a decent possibility you could be getting into the early stages of sailfish season. Not for sure but a chance. Unlike the winter when it is extremely unlikely you'll see anything you can catch with a fly. It's all bottom fishing and trolling until sailfish season starts.

I say this because there is a good chance that there will be fishing charters available to take you out in March that you can book last minute. And there is a possibility you might be able to hook up someone to share. But this is tough to organize.

#4 wayne & cathy

wayne & cathy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:05 PM

Carey, thanks for the info. Our trip is for March 21 - 28. Would feel better knowing that something is arranged ahead of time but wasnt sure whether i could or not due to the fact there will probably only be two of us particitating(that could change though). Do you have any input as to which charter we should use. I was thinking of going for 6 or 8 hours, somewhere in the mid priced range.

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

I send anyone who asks about fishing to my friend, Carlos Vega. He manages and books the best of them and is a very professional and honorable man, one of the original Cozumelenos. You can contact him and read more about the boats he handles by clicking the Tours We Trust banner at the top of this page and then going to the deep sea fishing section.

There's also an interesting interview there with Carlos that has a lot of background info about the fishing scene here including the history, where they fish and answers to the most common questions people ask him.
http://cozumelmycozu...FAQArticle.html

#6 wayne & cathy

wayne & cathy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:26 PM

will check that out, thanks again!!

#7 Boognish

Boognish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:00 AM

When are you going in March? I will be there the 14th-21st and would be interested in going fishin :)

#8 wayne & cathy

wayne & cathy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:07 AM

We are goimg the 21st til the 28th, looks like we ar egoing to miss - thats too bad. Looking forward to trying out the fishing.

#9 molbob

molbob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

We will be in cozumel mar 20 to the 24th also looking for a couple or group to share the cost of deep sea fishing for 6 to 8 hrs

#10 wayne & cathy

wayne & cathy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:29 PM

We are going to be there March 21-28 and would definately be interested in hooking up for fishing. There will be one or two or maybe three from our group interested in the deep sea fishing including myself. We have not made any final plans or bookings as of yet. Do you have any ideas/suggestions?

#11 molbob

molbob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:36 PM

For sure it would be the wife and I Looking for mon the 22nd or tue the 23rd we would be willing to do a full 8 yrs here is a few sites we have checked

http://www.cozumelfi...-questions.html

http://www.fishcozumel.com/

http://www.cozumelfi...ish/DeepSea.asp

They are the cheapest I have been able to find Let us know if have and ideas or found any good places

You can email me at bfrench977@gmail.com

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:18 AM

Before you book that fishing trip, you might want to read this interview I wrote with Carlos Vega, a veteran Cozumel fisherman. It will be of assistance, I believe, in helping you choose the best boat and capi for your needs. He also books I think it's five boats with very experienced captains. I took a quick look at the links you provided and, although they are around $25 lower for the smaller 4-person boats, they don't tell you a whole lot about the craft or the captain. Keep shopping would be my advice. And check out this article: http://www.cozumelmy...hingFAQArticle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users