• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

To accommodate planes, and cruise ships Q.Roo (only) will move to east coast time.  That means on Feb 1st, move your clocks ahead one hour.

There has been many discussion on rather Q.Roo will include daylight savings time when it changes NOB.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:51 AM

Wow!  That's major.  But it's not to accommodate the planes for sure.  Airlines are totally accustomed to dealing with time changes.  On the other hand, virtually all cruise ships depart from the east coast.  There may still be one coming out of Texas very occasionally but  vast majority from the east coast.  They got their way again.

#3 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:03 PM

Wow!  That's major.  But it's not to accommodate the planes for sure.  Airlines are totally accustomed to dealing with time changes.  On the other hand, virtually all cruise ships depart from the east coast.  There may still be one coming out of Texas very occasionally but  vast majority from the east coast.  They got their way again.

Cruise ships leave weekly from Mobile, New Orleans, Houston and Galveston.

Cindy

#4 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:17 PM

Since I will be on the island that means I will lose one hour of vacation time.  Bummer

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

Here's the kicker, they may NOT change to daylight saving time, which means during high season we are East Coast time.  But, then what?

They are calling it "Near East".

I get that with over 3 million + cruiser, and the airlines flying in means a lot more business on the island.  No problem that I can see, but for crying out loud, not to change with daylight saving is just idiotic.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:38 PM

I stand corrected re the cruise ship departure cities, Cindy.  As to daylight savings time, it was already a mess with Cozumel starting in usually two weeks or so after the US.  Purty insane if you ask me.  But that's our little sweet but cray cray Cozumel

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:10 PM

You said cray cray!  :P

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#8 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:28 AM

I stand corrected re the cruise ship departure cities, Cindy.  As to daylight savings time, it was already a mess with Cozumel starting in usually two weeks or so after the US.  Purty insane if you ask me.  But that's our little sweet but cray cray Cozumel

I don't care what time it is on Cozumel; I will still have a wonderful time! 

Cindy

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:35 AM

I don't care what time it is on Cozumel; I will still have a wonderful time! 

Take your watch off and the time change will be hardly noticeable. 

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#10 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:39 PM

So you are saying that Quintana Roo is going on daylight savings time on February 1st. and staying there all year unless they decide to jump ahead another hour when DST changes.

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:26 PM

Apparently it has been said the move will be EST and will not move to day light saving /summer time.

I have not been able to confirm the plan to move Cozumel to 5 pm and leaving it there, day in and day out....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#12 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:44 PM

The time change won't bother me. My plane still takes the same amount of time to get down there so I don't care what the clock says. It still takes me 5 Bloody Marys and I don't have a watch. 

#13 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:22 PM

Oh, Steve!  We got forced onto SW when Airtran got absorbed.  I wasn't thrilled.  However, we each just got a stack of free drink coupons and another set for the SW credit card!!

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#14 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:24 PM

How quickly they forget the misadventures of the past. When this madness was tried before, like so many times, there were numerous unintended, unanticipated consequences. Memory fails me as to the year, but my guess it was mid to late 1990s, it was maybe the second year on "Daylight Savings". Well in the Fall when everyone fell back, Quintana Roo did not change the clocks. That put Quintana Roo on Eastern Standard Time, one hour difference from Merida, one hour ahead of D.F.

Excepting the armed insurrection in Chiapas, I have never witnessed a more vigorous protest. A personal favorite were the Mayan women marching around the clock chanting "change the clock", "change the clock". In fact that remains the only protest I ever saw on the island by Mayans, most in traditional dress. The Mayan protest stemmed
from their use of a stick at midday to gauge the straightness when digging pozos. Such irony of traditional people, a people that worshipped the sun, but now relied upon watches to judge noontime to properly dig wells. I guess sundials don't work well on cloudy days. It was very disruptive to the business community. Large corporations like Telmex, banks were particularly hit with problems. Since they were tied to Mexico City, the financial markets etc. what should they do, adjust their hours to correspond to Mexico time, open or close an hour later on "KangaRoo Time"?

The protest was spirited and my guess very strong objections were raised by the corporations that were so affected. It took about five weeks before the government finally relented and agreed to return to Central Time. But it was going to take 90 days to adjust all the bus and airline schedules along with everything else published. So finally after four plus months, Quintana Roo finally fell back in step with the rest of the country. When the time changed it was almost time to "Spring Forward" to go back on Daylight Savings, so after three weeks on customary time, the clocks changed again!

This time they are springing the change on the people after the days with the shortest daylight have passed. The most vocal outrage last time was with regard to the children going to school in the dark. It comes six weeks after the Winter Solstice so at least the early morning dark time will be decreasing. Wait until the Fall and the shortest days of November and December, perhaps there will be increased public objection.

The who and why of this change, both this time and previously remains a mystery. Various lame excuses are offered, with really none having more than a grain of validity. The sun comes up and the sun goes down. The length of daylight determined by the time of year. I love the reasoning now offered in North America of offering more time in the evenings for recreation. Just when do Mexicans recreate? The typical 16 hour workday, Mexican work starts before the sun rises and doesn't end until long after the sun sets. And the typical Mexican is too damned tired to do more than slam down a few beers or work on a sewing project.

Well it gives the cruise ship passengers an extra hour of daylight. God shines His light on cruise ships, I doubt that. If the numbers on clocks affect cruise ship behaviors, why don't the ships just adjust their time backward. Why stop with a single hour, why not have ships set their clocks back two or three hours, think of all that extra daylight! More cruises do originate out of Florida, but some are hitting Central Time ports before their arrival in Cozumel. Maybe it's about 40% of cruise passengers departing from Central Time ports and/or visiting ports. Passengers are coming from all different time zones so many are changing their watches when they arrive at the port of departure. Some ships change their clocks when they change time zones, some keep theirs the same. They hammer on passengers to "stay on ship time, ignore whatever time it is ashore". The ships trick their passengers in every other way, why not have them change to "cruise time", herd them to breakfast at 5:00AM and end breakfast by 8:00, passengers could eat, go back to their cabins and change and still watch the sunrise while they wait to depart on their cruise approved excursions.

Oh but think of the airline passengers! Most flights originate out of Central Time and during high season, most are experiencing considerably more daylight hours. I fail to see any possible improvement for air passengers. Hey, they are on vacation, tell them to throw their watches away!

The last time this time manipulation occurred, I offered the only viable solution and compromise that still stands today. They need to put Quintana Roo on the half hour. It would be 12:00 o'clock in Miami, 11:30 in Cozumel and 11:00 in the rest of Mexico (except Baja and Sonora).

Anybody have the time?

#15 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:02 PM

Cvchief...I booked my flight last March on Airtran so I guess I will be flying on Southwest. It's not a bad flight. They sent me the drink coupons in a Christmas card and I also bought 8 more off of EBay so I should have enough for the trip down and enough to get home once I buy another ticket.

#16 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:57 PM

Charles...While reading another forum someone posted that Mexico was on EST from 1982 to 1998. I have no idea if that is correct. I know I was down there during that time period but don't remember what time it was.

#17 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 01:11 AM

Interesting history, Charles!  Thanks.  And thanks for the laughs also, too.  You're in rare form tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users