• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:05 AM

The kiosk isn't built yet for the new ferry company on the Cozumel side, but it appears to be coming soon.

Info will be posted when it's operational.  You can also check their FB page for info:https://www.facebook.com/barcoscaribe

The price is advertised as $69p's each way (with plan local)  The lines will form fast at that price, and the boat will be full.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:03 AM

Can you see what the price will be for those not on the Plan Local?

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:23 AM

I have gone through the comments and the only UNVERIFIED reference I see  for regular, non plan local is $130p's.

But, will have to see what the posted price will be.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 05:27 PM

Below is the existing rates for Mexico & Ultramar ferries.  If the new ferry company offers a PLAN LOCAL ticket for $69p's that only a 10p's difference.  It is a saving though.

If the new company drops their rates to be more competitive on NON LOCAL pricing, then that would be really be a benefit to tourist, and those who do not have a plan local plan.

(INAPAN=Sr. Card that is only available to temp/perm residence and 60+ years old.)

10931721_550779438357707_669399353908922

Anonymous

#5 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:37 PM

There was an article in Por Esto this morning showing a picture of the new booth at the pier, it also said they were going to charge 69 pesos per person for islanders as well and for people on the mainland.......of course this was in Por Esto.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:21 AM

Maybe they will offer the 69p's to all, or maybe they will make it a promotional price for a time, or that price is for "locals".

I didn't catch the fine print at first, but when Pato asked his question regarding the regular fare, I took a closer look on their page, right under the price it states having valid credentials from Q. Roo.

The only valid credentials I can think of is Plan Local, or the Sr. Card.

It's as clear as mud to me.

Anonymous

#7 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:28 PM

The only valid credentials I can think of is Plan Local, or the Sr. Card.

How about an IFE?

#8 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:03 PM

Driver licenses or are North Americans STILL not bothering to get a local license? The only form of "ID" I carried was the photo credential from the out of business airline and my CURP card.

Given the history of competing with Aviomar, I wouldn't bank on the longevity of this ferry service. Remember Don Pepe's San Miguel Navy's Arch Angel? True to their word, Aviomar blacklisted those using the competing truck ferry. I loved the objections that Pepe's 25 year old ship was too old for service. It had been completely renovated in Cuba and all the major equipment was new. Too old for service while Aviomar's was 30 years old and had never been renovated. That and Aviomar flagged that ship in one of those "Kakalakastan" countries that no one could point to on a map. After months of legal challenges, Pepe threw in the towel and ceased operation.

Oh and then the Cozumel mayor's Isle of Peace ferry service. Aviomar said they would lower prices to $25 pesos each way if they ever got in service. Those boats were fiberglass and posed too great a risk to passengers in event of fire. I was never sure if that was intended as a threat. Given that the previous competing ferry service was rammed by a cruise ship, no small feat!

All I can say is good luck. If I rode them I'd pay attention to evacuation instructions and the location of life preservers just in case you had to abandon ship.

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:15 PM

Mark, IFE?  I think I know, but not sure.

Plan Local or if you qualify a Sr. Card works best.

Anonymous

#10 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:39 AM

IFE = Instituto Federal Electoral. It's a voter ID card and establishes one's legal residence. For Mexican citizens it's the quick, easy way to prove one is a resident of Quintana Roo, Tulum, or wherever.

Since the established ferry companies' Plan Local is only for Cozumel residents (and not for mainland QR residents) and the new company says its discounted rates are for QR residents in general, the new guys are going to need some mechanism for figuring out who is a QR resident. I'll bet that for Mexican citizens of voting age they'll use IFE since that way they won't need to issue potentially hundreds of thousands of their own cards to people who live in Cancun and want to buy a discounted ferry ticket once.

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:37 PM

That IFE would only apply to those who are citizens of Mexico.  The difference so far only appears to be 10p's from the price I pay for the established ferries.

If I get the discount, and am on the new ferry, cheers.  If not, 10p difference isn't going to leave me standing on the dock.

Anonymous

#12 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:01 PM

Driver licenses or are North Americans STILL not bothering to get a local license?

You mean all North Americans or just the ones that are not Mexican?  :P

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#13 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

Chief, Mexico/Mexicans do not consider themselves a part of North America. I managed to get a drivers license. I even was a part of the first defensive driving course they started requiring in 2001. It was always my understanding that if you were living in Mexico, with the old FM3/FM2s, it was required.

#14 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:30 PM

10p difference isn't going to leave me standing on the dock.

Agreed. There are probably people, I'm thinking mostly Mexicans, for whom it will make sense to use whatever ferry is cheapest. For me, I'm taking the next boat irrespective of whose it is.

#15 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

Chief, Mexico/Mexicans do not consider themselves a part of North America. I managed to get a drivers license. I even was a part of the first defensive driving course they started requiring in 2001. It was always my understanding that if you were living in Mexico, with the old FM3/FM2s, it was required.

Weird that Peña hosted the North American Leaders Summit in Mexico then.  Maybe more Mexicans need to tell him Mexico isn't in NA?  I bet the conference was expensive....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

If the new ferry is to start operations on Feb 1st or there about, there is not a hint of a ticket booth on either side.  None of their boats are in site either.

Anonymous

#17 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:18 AM

Latest word is the 2 new ferry boats will arrive on Cozumel this Tuesday. Maybe service will begin on Wednesday.

This service was supposed to have begun over 2 weeks about so at this point who knows when real operations will start.

#18 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:33 PM

Boats are docked, but not sure if they are operational yet.

Photo by Karen Vissage

10846067_10203273929641338_7833695705511

Anonymous

#19 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:26 PM

I actually saw one of them taking a little trip down toward the International Pier. We shall soon see what's up ;)

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#20 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:10 AM

Supposed to start the 15th?  Por Esto

El Jefe