#1 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:44 AM

Good morning everyone! Well, it's here! Welcome to the Eastern Time Zone as of about 8 hours ago now. See you in Central Daylight Savings Time in about 5 weeks, though. Talk about confusing. Since we are not EVER changing our clocks with daylight savings time until at least 2018, according to the Consulate, we get to jump time zones and repeatedly change our clocks on electronics throughout the year. It's gonna be interesting to say the least!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#2 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:47 AM

Kandy - For the next three years we do NOT change our clocks here in Q Roo.  Yes, electronic devices that set themselves automatically based on time zone will need to be changed...I'm hoping that by changing the time setting to "do not change automatically" that problem will take care of itself.  If it doesn't...oh well.  I can deal with the phone and computer.   At least now, I don't have to wander around the house wondering if I've changed all the wall clocks, alarm clocks, microwave etc.  Or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

It's the price we pay for living in paradise!

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:36 AM

Thanks, Kandy!  So definitely NOT doing DST in 2015?  Have you been able to confirm that?

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:45 PM

According to the government agency that oversees this, there will be no other clock changes this year. As I understand it, no decisions have been made regarding possible "Daylight Savings" changes in future years.

Quintana Roo is out of sync with the rest of the peninsula and most of Mexico from the last Sunday in October to the first Sunday in April. In Utah, a bill introduced by Senator Osmond (yes, nephew of Donnie and Marie) that if passed would spring Utah forward and then stay permanently on "Daylight Savings Time". Praise!

As I have suggested previously, put Quintana Roo or at least Cozumel on the half hour as a reasonable compromise.

#5 van2coz

van2coz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:having fun, making friends, enjoying life

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:46 PM

Here is an article from Mexico News Daily that indicates it will not change in the spring or fall now that they are on the Eastern Time Zone.  http://mexiconewsdai...t-quintana-roo/ - hopefully I am reading this right...

#6 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:49 AM

Pecas, I never said we'd change our clocks and go on daylight savings time. For that very reason, when the US changes their clocks on March 8, we will fall out of the Eastern Time Zone because they will move ahead one hour and we will not. That will put us in Central Daylight Savings Time. The whole thing is rather absurd and confusing beyond words to many.

Kandy

#7 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:49 AM

And from the second Sunday in March until the first Sunday in April, Quintana Roo will be out of sync with both Eastern Time and Central Time of Merida and Mexico City. At least until the last Sunday in October the time is equivalent to "normal time", whatever that is....

The same minds that brought forth this, they have considered the idea of adding Day Light Savings too! But not this year. They will wait for adjustment and hoped for acceptance of going this far. If the reasoning was sound (my opinion NOT), they should spring forward and back.

Kandy, "absurd and confusing beyond words" is a perfect description. It wouldn't bother me, but many among those more marginalized, especially those with kids going to school in the dark, it is upsetting. Mexican jobs tend to be solar driven scheduled, you start at first light and go until finished. Not like the "traditional U.S. job of 9:00 to 5:00. To solve the perceived problem, tell the tourists to get up earlier by clock time.

#8 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:50 AM

I really think it's a mistake to think of the new time zone as Eastern Standard Time or Central Daylight Time.

It's UTC (Universal Time) minus 5. That's also Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Panama, Colombia, and Peru time year-round, along with parts of a few other countries, as well as Easter Island Summer Time.

Until it isn't any more. Which is probably coming sooner or later.

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:13 PM

"Easter Island Summer Time" and why would I care?

Talk about throwing a wrench into the wheel if they don't change to be in sync with east coast time...insanity prevails.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:18 PM

That does make sense, Mark.  Is it just me or are more areas adopting times that don't match things around them?

I was pushing Borge for Easter Island Summer Time, but I guess he compromised. 

Put a few giant heads in the new plaza.  Heck of a tourism boost!  Very thematic with the time and all.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#11 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:30 PM

"Easter Island Summer Time" and why would I care?

Because saying we're on EST part of the year and CDT part of the year makes every bit as much sense as saying we're on Easter Island Summer Time year-round or Peru Time.

What we're actually on is UTC-5, which is all of those time zones (and more!). It'll probably eventually end up with some official and widely-accepted name, by which time they'll likely be about ready to change it.

Put a few giant heads in the new plaza. 

Do they have to be stone moai, or could they be politician heads?

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:53 PM

now I get Mark.  It ix my limited understand that some politician had been pushing this agenda for the past 3 years.  She succeeded.  Now lets see how it works out.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#13 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:34 AM

So, at the end of the day, will everybody still be on "Island" time?  It's one of the reasons we keep coming back!  :)

Skip (aka: VideoVern)

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#14 Surfer

Surfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:04 PM

I really think it's a mistake to think of the new time zone as Eastern Standard Time or Central Daylight Time.

It's UTC (Universal Time) minus 5. That's also Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Panama, Colombia, and Peru time year-round, along with parts of a few other countries, as well as Easter Island Summer Time.

Totally agree. We're not moving relative to other time zones; they are moving relative to UTC, while we are static at UTC-5.

Until the new QRoo time zone makes it into software, I'd recommend setting your computer/phone/tablet to the "Bogota/Lima" time zone (year round UTC-5). This will prevent any time change mixups in the spring and fall.

#15 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:13 AM

Better yet, Surfer, set your computer/phone/tablet clocks to NOT change automatically. Then you don't have to worry about a thing.

Kandy

#16 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:19 PM

Better yet, Surfer, set your computer/phone/tablet clocks to NOT change automatically. Then you don't have to worry about a thing.

And that's why you live on the island!  :)

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users