• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Magnolia1

Magnolia1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:59 AM

This will be my 4th trip to Cozumel this summer.  We are bringing our kids and grandkids.  Just wondering if anyone can tell me about Playa Mia?  Almost every single thread I've read is negative,however, I also know reviews are very subjective, especially food reviews.  I know Americans think they can go to Mexico and eat like they eat at home, not taking the culture of the country they are in and embracing it. So I try not to take those reviews too seriously, but I don't want to take my grandkids to Playa Mia if in fact it is as bad as all the threads say it is.  Has anyone been there? I have been to Chankanaab and find it to be a great place.  The question is, do I take the kids to Chankanaab or Playa Maya?

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

Well, there's a fairly hefty entry fee and it's also set up to accept bus loads of cruise passengers.  The beach is pretty but not more so than at others.  

So I'd weigh in for Chankannab again.  Another place to consider is getting some kind of day pass that includes the rock climbing, pool area and swimming around Buccanos restaurant up in the northern hotel zone.  This is a fav spot for me particularly for breakfast.  Gorgeous venue, big clean bathrooms, totally open air with a lovely view of the sea and the pool.

I see taxi vans bringing small groups -- 6-12 people -- here to use the pool and ocean access.  So you might call Buccanos and inquire as to how you could come in for the day or half a day, have breakfast or lunch and then use the pool, beach hammocks, etc.

You might find something by googling Cozumel rock climbing as well as they've built a cute little rock climbing place right behind the restaurant that looks to be safe and very well superivised.

Obviously you don't want to go as part of a cruiseship package -- prolly couldn't go that way.  But I'm thinking they probably sell individual family group passes.  Anybody tried this?

Another possibility for the kids -- isla de la pasion.  

If the kids gotta have water toys, floating igloo to climb on and the like, Paradise Beach Club might be a better choice than Playa Mia.  It, too, gets mobbed with cruisers as they really advertise a lot on the cruise boards.  So you'd want to get there early if you choose that option.  But the place has a lot more charm than Playa Mia in my opinion.

Finally, for the ultimate laid back Mexican beach experience, drive 'em down to the last beach club going south -- Playa Palancar.  Good food at the restaurant, pretty hammocks in the shade of palm trees, peacocks for the kids to marvel.  And you might see a crocodillo in the marshes adjacent to the little parking lot.

Oh, and what about Punta Sur?  Watch them feed chickens to the crocodillos, climb the light house, go for a swim.  You might be exhausted, but depending on age and temperament, the grand kids will like it.

I'm sure you already know that it's probably not a good idea to take the kiddos to east side beaches.  Serious and unpredictable undertows.

#3 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:45 PM

Cruisers usually aren't at the southern Beach Clubs on Sundays... because the ships don't come on that day (usually). And there are always less ships in the summer. Something to keep in mind.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:44 PM

Gotta ask: if you've read consistently poor reviews, why are you even interested in going in the first place?

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:34 AM

Playa Mia is not open on Sundays.  During the week it does get quite a few cruise ship passengers.  Playa Mia has every kind of water toy you can imagine. 

There are different price levels available.  They do have an office you can stop at which is by Chi's restaurant (I95) which is across the street from Puerta Maya.  They are open every day but Sunday.  

Your opinion in regards to the reviews, and perhaps where you read them is valid. I read many rave reviews of places, and have gone and end up wondering what people were raving about.  Would I expect gourmet food, don't think so.  But, I'm sure you will find something to your liking.

Paradise Beach has water toys, and the food is very good.  As for Punta Sur, once you get done looking at the croc's, climb the lighthouse, there is not nothing to do for the kids.  Never got the attraction to that place.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:42 AM

I see that Carey suggested Buccano's. A popular place with great food, pool, snorkel area, zip lines, beach etc. Very nice. They charge an entry fee of either $10 USD or $100 MXN. You get a slip of paper and that amount is deducted from your food/drink bill. They do this so people don't just come in to use the facilities and leave.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:14 PM

Yea, 10 bucks to get in.  Breakfast is like 11 and AWESOME.  We go alot.  Took the fam there for breakfast and stayed through lunch.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:29 PM

The Alaska Mouthing climbing adventure next to Bucanno's is separate from the Bucanno's, and the activities are by reservations, and an additional charge.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#9 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:30 PM

Quit telling everyone about my happy place.  My fantasy though is that they would get cushions for the loungers.

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:58 PM

I want to hit the lottery, buy the old hotel and turn it back to a swanky, 60s-70s looking operation.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#11 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:18 PM

And then keep the beach club private just for the people staying there and condo people LOL.

#12 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

I want to hit the lottery, buy the old hotel and turn it back to a swanky, 60s-70s looking operation.

I would live in that place; busted windows and all!

Cindy

#13 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:29 PM

I would live in that place; busted windows and all!

Really!  I can't really describe it but the whole place with the restaurant has a substantial feel about it.  Swanky is the best I could come up with. 

And I could live with walking down to have breakfast every morning!!

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users