• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie coz

Eddie coz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:57 AM

During our stay in Cozumel this year (Feb 14th couldn't come fast enough) we are thinking of planning a day or overnight trip to Tulum.  After the ferry to Playa what are our options to arrive in the center of Tulum (we do not plan on visiting the Ruins).  Also we would not be interested in renting a car.  Any information would be appreciated.

#2 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:37 AM

Very easy. Did this trip last year. Take the ADO bus to Tulum PUEBLO (bus station is located at the corner of 5th Avenue and Benito Juarez, it's veryclose to the ferry dock) then take a cab anywhere from there. There are almost always cabs waiting right there. The bus was about $7.00 each way. Nice big comfortable bus with reclining seats, TV's and bathroom and plenty of storage. I wouldn't travel any other way. The bus will stop at the ruins but just stay on and it will continue to Tulum PUBELO. Plenty of eating and shopping right there also. Return trip is just as easy.

Dono

It's those changes in latitudes!

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

Yes, that's good advice.  I will add that there are numerous buses per day on this route and you can look up the schedules online at ticketbus.com.mx.  If you're in downtown Cozumel during part of a day, you can buy your tickets ahead of time at the office.  Can someone please confirm that the ADO office is still on the corner of Avenida 10 Norte and Calle 2?  I vaguely remember noticing it wasn't there any more.

We stayed two nights in Tulum's downtown area and did the S'ian Kaan Biosphere Tour which was really fun and interesting.  We contracted it privately and went with a group of 6 other people.  They picked us up at our downtown hotel and dropped us off later.  And the tour guide recommended a fab little hole in the wall seafood place where we ate that night.

Haven't been to Tulum in about 8 years and it surely must have changed a lot since then.  But at the time there wasn't all that much to see or do in the town proper.  That seafood restaurant may still be there, however.  It was on the north end of the main drag on the west side of the street.  And it was busy. And open at night.  Sorry I can't remember the name of it....Just googled Tulum restaurants to see if I recognized it.  Whoa, that place HAS grown with something like 300 places listed.  I THINK El Camello may be where we et.  It was not totally open air like some and the pescado de la vera cruz  was outstanding. (whole fried fish in a tomato/achiote sauce).

#4 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:32 PM

From my understanding El Camillo's moved or closed. It was the best seafood restaurant in Tulum. 

Tulum has grown quite a bit. There must be at least 150 hotels on the beach road where 10 years ago there were only 10. Prices for rooms have gone up from $25 a night to $100 plus a night. In town you can eat fairly cheap but on the beach it is expensive. Tulum used to be one of my favorite places but now I don't even stop there anymore. To expensive and to crowded.

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:16 PM

So where are the Euro-Trash kiddos going now that Playa and Tulum are out of their budget, Steve? Mahajual? 

I found those entitled,cheapo brats with an attitude hard to take.  We never see them on Cozumel but they used to be on the 'corridor' in droves when it was still cheap.

#6 Eddie coz

Eddie coz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:17 PM

Dono,

Thank you for the info. One more question. When we get off the bus at Pueblo will we be downtown? If not how far will we be to the downtown.

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:20 PM

You'll be right downtown.

#8 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:57 PM

I was totally against riding a bus; just not my thing but I had a blast. Its assigned seating, big comfy seats and no one complained about my little six-pack cooler or my beer. It's a direct shot from Playa and some decent scenery. Just don't get off at the ruins and you'll be fine. The ADO bus station is a non-event. Walk in, pick your departure time, pay the nice lady and wait for your bus. Take some change in pesos as the banos at the station are not free.  They always leave on time so you can walk around and not worry about it. Have fun! If you make it to Ziggy's there are some fresh water cenotes about 30 yards out from the shore that are really cool to explore.

Dono

It's those changes in latitudes!

#9 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

The last time I looked the ADO office in Cozumel was NOT on the corner of 10 & 2N but down the street on 2N just a bit. Smaller storefront.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#10 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:28 PM

I don't know where they went to Cary. Camping is getting harder to find in Tulum although there are a few places left. Tulum is the new in place to vacation for artists, actors, musicians, etc. Lots of write ups in magazines. Music videos on the beach. It won't be to long before they ruin it. I see water pollution as an up and coming big problem there. Once the cenotes are polluted by the septic systems that will be the end.

The last time I purchased an ADO bus ticket in advance, I bought it at a small booth at the ferry pier. Isn't there still an ADO sales booth there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users