• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie coz

Eddie coz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:15 AM

Last year during our stay two restaurants we visited added a tax to our check (I don't remember the percent charged).  We have been coming to Cozumel for many years and this is the first time I can recall being charged tax on our check.  Is this add-on tax getting to be common place now at many of the restaurants, or are most restaurants including any taxes in the price of the food?  And is this Tax legit?

#2 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:22 AM

Hi Eddie

On January 1, 2014 a whole new tax structure went into place. Yes, the tax at restaurants is legit. We had to start paying 16% tax on a lot of things that were not previously taxable. Cost of living definitely went up last year!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#3 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:43 AM

Really? I know the tax increased, but the old regulation was that restaurant prices had to include the tax.

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:33 AM

Price displayed should always include sales tax, no exceptions. It is common in preparing receipts/facturas to "back out" IVA so an itemized receipt could show the tax paid, but only as a subtracted amount from stated price total. This applies to restaurants as well as everything else in the retail sector. And it doesn't count if there is a notation that sales tax will be added. I'd suggest first reporting a restaurant to the restaurant association.

#5 Eddie coz

Eddie coz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:59 PM

So correct me if I`m wrong. There seems to be a difference of opinion on this topic. So if my bill at a restaurant has separate ADDED tax
the restaurant is in error and legally I don't have to pay the tax?
I just wanted some clarification because last year the added tax only happened at two places during our entire two week stay.
Also, I`m NOT looking to report a restaurant to the restaurant association (if one even exists in Cozumel). We look forward
every year to the many fine restaurants in Cozumel with or without a tax. Just looking for factual information.

#6 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:00 PM

You should not have tax on your bill. It's a big scam in Playa (along with many other things).

It's those changes in latitudes!

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:54 PM

I am forced to take bill pic to settle up later.  The ones I found from December:

IVA added as a separate line item:

La Perlita

Guidos

Johnny Rockets in Cancun Airport

did NOT add a tax line item

La Choza

El Moro

Kondessa

Buccanos

Presidente

Casa Mission

La Cocay

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#8 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:57 PM

It is perfectly OK to show IVA tax on a receipt, but it should be backed out, not added to the displayed price. Technically, it might be legally "required", but we know how often Cozumel fails to conform to Mexican law. Coco's was the only restaurant I ever saw in Cozumel that had to write facturas for every sale way back. Others used simple notas or a blank slip of paper. During a business trip to Chiapas in 1999, where every meal was a tax deducible expense with an official factura, every mom 'n pop restaurant provided them without hesitation. I doubt visiting business people could have obtained one in Cozumel.

If your meal cost $100, your "backed out receipt" should show price = $86.21 + 13.79 (16% IVA) = $100

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:50 PM

Oh, I get you.  So if I looked at the menu the price of each item should be more than what is on the receipt?

Makes more sense.  For instance the menu at Guidos lists the lasagna one of my peeps had at 168.  The receipt shows 150.86.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#10 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:52 AM

Recent fiscal reforms have forced most restaurants (and other retailers) to install smart cash registers or fancier point of sale systems. All of these would be programmed to separate the IVA from the item price and keep the totals for each concept in separate, cumulative registers for reporting to Hacienda. Therefore, I would expect a printed receipt to show IVA separately, while a handwritten receipt may or may not separate the IVA.

It is only a scam when the 16% IVA is added to the posted or menu price. Otherwise, the separation is done to comply with the newest federal regulations.

#11 Eddie coz

Eddie coz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:58 AM

Thanks to everyone for some great information. It took awhile, but I now understand on how its SUPPOSED to work at restaurants. Thank you Charles for breaking it down. Much appreciated. Looking forward to our arrival on Feb 14th.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users