Second year on Cozumel

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Golden Gopher

Golden Gopher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Travel,Snorkeling,Food & Wine, anything by the lake.

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:29 PM

I was admittedly dragged to Mexico for the first time in 2004. We stayed in Akumal and I was very nervous about the food and water. I was put at ease after dining most meals out that first year in both Akumal and Playa. I became even more comfortable on our 5 subsequent trips to Playa, staying mostly on 5th Ave for our restuarant choices.  We did venture off 5th and had nothing but good experiences as far as food safety. With only one minor exception, we had much the same experience here on the island last year. Because favorite Cozumel restaurants are all over the Sam Miguel map, I'm having some trepidation in choosing restaurants that are a bit off the beaten path. My Playa del Carmen rule of staying closer to 5th Ave doesn't appear to apply on Cozumel. I check Trip Advisor and this forum for good restaurants and any recent food issues popping up. Our dining choices last year included Buccanos at Night, Kondessa, Wet Wendy's and the Money Bar. How does one choose here in San Miguel? We're going back to Buccanos, but want to try some different restaurants.

#2 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:29 PM

I have tried about a zillion of them and never been sick.

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:56 PM

We're updating the restaurant rec.'s this month.  In the interim, search these forums for rec.'s.  Off the top of my head -- high end you don't want to miss Guidos.  Good Chinese and Phillipino food at Chi.

Loncherias -- La Herradura on 30 is a good.  I like Flamitas on 25 between Morelos and 5.  The food stalls in and adjacent to the mercado are other places to try for a late lunch.

A friend just sent along an email with La Herradura menu and info:  Sorry I couldn't get the table to load

La suerte de comer como en casa!!!! Restaurant  La Herradura Cozumel          Call us and we deliver it !!!  87 2 77 54  or cel  98710149 73     We are at  30 av. Between 17 and 19 Weekly Menu from 12:00 to 6:00pm           The Dinner Menu  4:00 a 6:00pm                                  Monday February 9 Tuesday  February 10 Wednesday February 11 Thursday February 12 Friday February 13 Saturday February 14    Choices of Soup:  Choices of Soup:  Choices of Soup:  Choices of Soup:  Choices of Soup:  Choices of Soup:   *Noodle soup *Cream of  beet  soup *Noodle soup *Cream of  broccoli soup *Noodle soup * Chicken soup   * Chicken soup * Chicken soup * Chicken soup * Chicken soup * Chicken soup  Choices of Main dish:    Choices of Main dish:  Choices of Main dish:  Choices of Main dish:  Choices of Main dish:  Choices of Main dish: *Chicken Enchiladas in Mole   *Fried chicken kentucky style *Chicken in Mole  *Breaded and fried chicken breast *Chicken hard tacos * Beef Hamburger  La  *Spaghetti   Bolognese   *Beef Lasagne *Smoked pork chops in a spicy  w/ ham and gratin cheese on top *Beef  Ranchero style              Herradura  Style *Breaded Fried   *Spaghetti   Bolognese tamarind sauce *Discada Norteña * Spaghetti   Bolognese *Pork in a curry sauce             Chicken breast     *Breaded Fried *Spaghetti   Bolognese *Spaghetti   Bolognese *Breaded Fried *Spaghetti   Bolognese *Grilled Chicken ( breast )           Chicken breast  *Breaded Fried *Breaded Fried           Chicken breast  *Breaded Fried  Choose 2 on the sides:   *Grilled Chicken ( breast )         Chicken breast          Chicken breast  *Grilled Chicken ( breast )             Chicken breast   * Fried rice    Choose 2 on the sides: *Grilled Chicken ( breast ) *Grilled Chicken ( breast )  Choose 2 on the sides: *Grilled Chicken ( breast ) * White rice   * Fried rice  Choose 2 on the sides:  Choose 2 on the sides: * Fried rice  Choose 2 on the sides: * Veggies with butter   * White rice * Fried rice * Fried rice * White rice * Fried rice * Fried beans   * Veggies with butter * White rice * White rice * Veggies with butter * White rice * Nopales   * coleslaw * Veggies with butter * Veggies with butter * coleslaw * Veggies with butter              Today's Special   * Fried beans * Fried beans * Fried beans * Fried Beans * French Fries * Fresh boneless fish   * Mashed potatoes *Fried Bananas * Mashed potatoes   * Fried beans          Breaded and fried or                         Today's Special  Garlic Oil (mojo de ajo)           * Fresh boneless fish                      Breaded and fried or      Order $75 ** Our desserts for the week is BROWNIE W/ ICE CREAM" mmmm  $50  Garlic Oil (mojo de ajo)     Especials $90 (Spumoni) Mud Pie $50  Key Lime pay $45  "  ** and BANANA SPLIT" $50              

Those prices are pesos, don't forget.  Food is good here.  I believe the chef works also at Guidos but not sure if this is still true.

#4 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:17 PM

I eat there once a week....I thought Erikucha and her husband did the cooking at Herradura. Anyway, great eats and always consistent and one of our favourite places and they also serve pizza and pasta from 4pm-6pm daily.

#5 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:21 PM

I've always been an adventurous diner, and the worst I've ever been burned was in Minnesota - Lutefisk is NASTY. But I've never been burned in Cozumel, at least not in the small, off the beaten track restaurants. And some of my very favorites are back in town and off the beaten path - places like El Moro, Pescaderia San Carlos, La Perlita, some of the late night Taquerias on Ave. 30. Take a chance.

#6 diverN2H2O

diverN2H2O

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:28 PM

Don't pass up the rotisserie chicken places or Billy the Griller. Melt in your mouth chicken plus sides.

A whole bird w/ rice, spagetti and something like macaroni in a broth (help me out if anyone knows what it is) 80 pesos.

We ate chicken 4 days out of 9 this last trip.

Sorry I never get the streets right I just drive up 11 ave and then right at the divided street go south and look for the smoke.

Billy's is farther east and really puts out the smoke and completely different than the rotisserie places.

La Hatch puts out a great breakfast opens at 9:00 am

Camarone Darado on transversal road fish or shrimp tacos open only till 3:00 pm

#7 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:31 PM

I've been coming down since 1980 and have never been sick from the food and I will eat anywhere. I have had food poisoning in the states a few times. No worries.

La Herradura has great sweet and sour shrimp. Will be dining there in a few days.

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:49 PM

Camerone Dorados has yummy fried shrimp tacos.  One of my favs.  On the Transversal a couple of blocks past the second Pemex station, south side of the road.

I'm a fan of the pollo asado, grilled chicken, from the Pollo Asado place on Avenida 30 between Morelos and 5 Sur.  Right next to a pool supply place and a tropical fish supply store.

And I love Cocina Italiana for lunch on the corner of Ave 10 con Calle 6 Norte.

#9 Golden Gopher

Golden Gopher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Travel,Snorkeling,Food & Wine, anything by the lake.

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:34 PM

Camerone Dorados has yummy fried shrimp tacos.  One of my favs.  On the Transversal a couple of blocks past the second Pemex station, south side of the road.

I'm a fan of the pollo asado, grilled chicken, from the Pollo Asado place on Avenida 30 between Morelos and 5 Sur.  Right next to a pool supply place and a tropical fish supply store.

And I love Cocina Italiana for lunch on the corner of Ave 10 con Calle 6 Norte.

Love the tip on fried shrimp tacos. We have been on a mission since Dr Taco closed in Playa a few years back. Last year the best we had on Cozumel was down at the Paradise Beach Club. Thanks.

#10 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:26 PM

I've been a fan of El Camarón Dorado for years, but when they were closed over Christmas we tried the El Chino Marinero a few blocks away across from Coppel. My parents now absolutely adore El Chino Marinero (specifically that one - we haven't tried any of the others). It's pretty darned good.

#11 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:17 AM

I like Camaron Dorado as well, but I find El Chino Marienero to be better.  They have another place right across for the Casono Real Hotel. 

#12 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:52 PM

For shrimp tacos try Diego's on Airport road 1/4 block south on 65th.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users