• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:39 PM

I hear la perla del caribe calling me back... I was last on CZ in 2012...  By the time the trip comes, will be over 3 years ago... Since my last trip, I’ve scuba’d in Belize, Maui, Grand Cayman, Negril, Providenciales, Texas Flower Gardens twice and of course, lets not forget the awesome ski lake in Ft. Worth to install a new slalom course... Why does this island always keep me coming back....?  It is hands down my favorite Caribbean Island.   

We’re in the process of building a home, so going to make this a cheap cheap get away.  No condo, no car, stay in town, waterfront... Was thinking Hotel Barracuda... That was we’re close enough to walk to all of our favorite restaurants...

Targeting my bday week 10/17 – 10/25.... Anyone else have island plans around that date?

PS: Can't edit my typo in the title!
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:42 PM

you called?

Barracuda can be REALLY noisy.  Check Blue Angel.  It's a little further south, but not that long of a walk into town, or inexpensive taxi.  How about, Hotel Cozumel, Scuba Club?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:40 AM

you called?

Barracuda can be REALLY noisy.  Check Blue Angel.  It's a little further south, but not that long of a walk into town, or inexpensive taxi.  How about, Hotel Cozumel, Scuba Club?

LOL - thanks, paula!

I haven't looked into those yet, I just know cheap is the name of the game for this trip. 

We bought a lot on a private ski lake last July and are going to build a house on it.  Australia's GBR is gonna have to wait!

I'll check BA and SC and yes I had looked into Hotel Cozumel but want to avoid car rentals and cabs. 

“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#4 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:22 AM

We've stayed at the Barracuda a few times over the last decade. It can get noisy on weekend nights but the rest of the time it's pretty quiet. Talking and laughing can go on late sometimes depending who's at the bar. We love it and always go back. It's cheap, clean and very close to anything you need. If you just "show up" you can usually get a better rate.

Dono

It's those changes in latitudes!

#5 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:03 PM

We've stayed at the Barracuda a few times over the last decade. It can get noisy on weekend nights but the rest of the time it's pretty quiet. Talking and laughing can go on late sometimes depending who's at the bar. We love it and always go back. It's cheap, clean and very close to anything you need. If you just "show up" you can usually get a better rate.

Dono

Thanks for the review.  Problem with just showing up is that they'd have to beat $59/night with taxes included. Which I doubt is possible.   :D

#6 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:23 PM

Thats about as good as it gets Mark. It's all stairs but I'd ask for third floor over the pool. The farther North the better as far as noise goes.

It's those changes in latitudes!

#7 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:34 PM

The main attraction for me is cost + walk to town. 

If I had an extra $1000, I;d be renting Stephanie's Condo! :D

All I know is the restaurants in CZ are too good to go AI

#8 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

I heard the call to the island also but must have got wrong information or wrong number. It's cool down here in the mornings and hot in the afternoon. Had drizzle or rain about everyday. The beer is ice cold and on top of that I am getting around $750 pesos more this year every time I take out money. The pesos are getting harder to get rid of and I am stuck here until sometime in April.

#9 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:57 PM

Hoping to make it back for my birthday week (10/31) again this year.  Last year we only went for a 4 night weekend and stayed at Hotel Cozumel.  Couldn't beat the price.  We added AI for only $14 each per day.  We didn't eat there except for breakfast but $14 easily covered our beer.  Air and hotel from Indy ran a little under $1000 total.  It was very quiet.  Another perk was the Humane Society had a Halloween party at the beach club while we were there.

#10 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:39 PM

You might check Casa Mexicana for price. Their price includes the breakfast which is close to outstanding. Down side is they are not waterfront, but rooms are nicer and most rooms would be quieter than Barracuda. Previously I have seen cheaper prices (around $50, originally ran $100 plus a night), often for town view rooms, but sometimes the ocean view. Figure the breakfast is worth a solid $10 dollars.

#11 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:47 AM

IIRC, the island is dead in october...  Last time i traveled there late Fall, the island was quiet.... all the annoying brats are in school, i don't remember seeing more than 3-4 of the little vermin LOL

#12 TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:13 PM

So Mark - Tell us how you really feel about kids !  :-)

#13 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

LOL Steve - that does sound rough.

11 weeks 6 days............................................. :P

#14 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:34 PM

So Mark - Tell us how you really feel about kids !  :-)

Hmmmm, rather keep this a happy thread, but the following adjectives come to mind: rude, entitled, arrogant, selfish and ungrateful  :)

#15 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:09 PM

We are booked.  Be down from the 20th to the 30th of March.  Expecting an invite to your party, Steve.  Anybody need anything that we can bring down?

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#16 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:20 PM

So cheap to get away right now... 4d/3n from dfw,  1350 for hotel and ns air... add 200 pp for scuba...

too many deadlines and commitments :(

I'm jealous of those of you already booked lol

#17 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:28 PM

It's too cold there now anyway Mark.  we wouldn't enjoy it.  And crowded!  

That's my story and I am sticking to it. :D

#18 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:51 PM

It's too cold there now anyway Mark.  we wouldn't enjoy it.  And crowded!  

That's my story and I am sticking to it. :D

I'll take their cold to ours, and their crowds will only make it more fun... 

It's so cold in my office right now, my feet are ICED and I am wearing my jacket!!!!!!!

Why why why did god send me a CPA with an April 15th deadline?

I will shut up before i jinx myself.  shes an advanced diver now and tournament waterskis with me

haha

#19 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:38 AM

MarcC, it is -5 as I am typing this in Minnesnowta.  Our kids in McKinney are grilling and complaining about sweating!  I'm just about ready to move to Texas . . . as long as I don't have to become a Dallas Cowboys fan!  :rolleyes:

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#20 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:06 PM

MarcC, it is -5 as I am typing this in Minnesnowta.  Our kids in McKinney are grilling and complaining about sweating!  I'm just about ready to move to Texas . . . as long as I don't have to become a Dallas Cowboys fan!  :rolleyes:

cowboys fan... only thing worse is a patriots fan!

yes, we had awesome weather this weekend - 76 and sunny, and then it all went south - 28, windy overcast  and rain today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users