9 replies to this topic

#1 AKFISH

AKFISH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:17 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm visiting Cozumel in March.   I am fairly inexperienced diver.  I just got certified last year at Playa then did 5 dives in Cozumel.  I however have dove commercially in Oregon in my younger days, so I am super confident/comfortable in the water and don't want to be limited.  I am an avid snorkeler.

I loved the dives I did there last year, BUT the operation I went with had faulty equipment, that concerned me enough that I couldn't fully appreciate the time I had under.  I did my homework, pouring over reviews and recommendations.  That got me malfunctioning gauges, leaky hoses, torn bc's,  the people and dives were great though!  Maybe I was just unlucky.

So I'm looking for an operation that is laid back,  yet has stellar equipment maintenance, and of course one that is almost free, errr I mean safety oriented!

I'll be on my own so if anyone wants a dive partner, or is interested in bicycle/beach/beer/snorkeling give me a holler.   March 10th-19th ish

#2 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:11 AM

Lots of good/great dive operations here.  Roberta and her team at Blue Bubble divers are great.  Personalized service, fast boats and they'll take their time to make sure that you're comfortable in the water. 

http://scubashackcoz.com/

#3 CGrover

CGrover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Diving, mtn biking, relaxing on a beach

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

We went with PapaHogs last year and loved them.  Great equipment, and they took care of everything on the boat, loading and getting all gear ready, and picked up at our dock.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:56 PM

Where are you staying?  If your staying at a hotel with a dive shop, then can either suggest someplace else, or give you thumbs up to the dive shop on site.

In my opinion, you are a novice (old skills are rusty)  I would hire a dive master to go out with you, regardless of what shop you pick until you and the DM feel your competent.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 AKFISH

AKFISH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for the responces.  I've rolled the dice and made arrangements with SeaRobin, staying at the Colonial. 10th-14, then I'm playing it by ear 14-19. 

Will probably rent a bicycle and snorkel south of town.  I had a blast last year doing this.  I learned quickly to strap my sandals as the asphault gets WAY HOT!!!   Also thinking of renting a car for one day to check out the east side.

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:46 AM

I really like Eduardo the DM at Sea Robin.  And the Ballena is nice boat too.  Ask him where his got his nice coat.  :)

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#7 tbiram

tbiram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Painting, home renovation, sewing, reading, motorcycles, travel, board and card games

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:25 AM

We are staying at the Iberostar, any comments of Dressel Divers?  I would like to get PADI certified while there.

#8 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

Nothing wrong with Dressel, but they are fairly large company which tends to mean inflexible schedules and policies. They also train a LOT of divemasters through a residential program, which means less-experienced personnel.

Many experienced Cozumel divers prefer to go with smaller, boutique dive operators that aren't linked to any particular resort. They can typically pick you up anywhere and offer much more flexibility and customization. That's what we did for several family members and friends who did their dive training in Cozumel.

#9 divern2h20

divern2h20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:10 PM

We toook our grandaughter to Iberostar and she did the Discover Scuba there.

I'm a former PADI DM (no longer active) and was very impressed with the time and attention she received.

They were very busy but had only 2 students per instructor yes I checked and he was an instructor.

I wish I had his name but don't he was German.

The only thing about doing your training on vacation is you will eat up alot of time not in the water or sightseeing.

Suggest if possible do the classroom section and pool at home then do your referal dives ,open waters in Cozumel.

Enjoy

#10 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:27 AM

We are staying at the Iberostar, any comments of Dressel Divers?  I would like to get PADI certified while there.

Look at doing the pool and classroom work at home so you don't eat up hour after hour of vacation time.  I did this and then did my 4 open water dives on Cozumel and loved it. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dive, Dive Shops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users