Up To Date Car Rental Advice

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tbiram

tbiram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Painting, home renovation, sewing, reading, motorcycles, travel, board and card games

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:08 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for any advice on renting a car for about 5 days while on vacation. I've never done this before so any and all advice is welcome. Staying at the south end of the island and don't want to take taxis everywhere and would like to see as much as possible while we're there.

Thanks

Terri

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:58 AM

it really depends on what type of car you want.  Open top VW beaters are popular from ISIS for $35 bucks a day, which includes insurance.

Fiesta Car rental, better cars, automatics, with AC.

Just about everything in between.

The one piece of advice, buy FULL COVERAGE insurance.  Do not rely on your credit card to pay for damages.  Do NOT drive under the influence, and if you have an accident, your insurance will be voided.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 tbiram

tbiram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Painting, home renovation, sewing, reading, motorcycles, travel, board and card games

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

Thank you for such a quick reply. I love the idea of an open top VW. We're pretty laid back and low key and that sounds like fun... Thanks for the insurance advice as well. Read that somewhere else on here and will definitley take that to heart. So muchto see and do there, I can't wait.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:33 PM

I would reserve with ISIS then.  I live on the south end of the island, so a car is really necessary.  

Speaking of being south, try Gusto's restaurant, and they are opening a tequila testing venue as well.  SkyReef beach is brand new and just south of Corona beach.

Remember on the "old road" you are only permitted to drive south, not north.  The complete cut off in either direction on the old road is at Palancar Beach Club.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 tbiram

tbiram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:15 AM

Thanks for the restaraunt suggestion. I'm open to any recommendations you have. We've already booked a day with Josefina and are very excited about that.

I checked in with ISIS and this is what they sent me.

"the rate is 35 usd a day included 16 % tax, liability insurance no deductible also included collision insurance 

with 500 usd as a  deductible"

Is that all we need for insurance.  I was also thinking about renting the car from March 9 to the 16th, but that's a national holiday. Do you think we should keep the car til the 17th and come into town that day. Do you know if there will be any special events we might want to experience?

#6 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:37 AM

Paula, it looks like Gusto's changed their name. I was down there yesterday and noticed it.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#7 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:05 PM

Is that all we need for insurance.  I was also thinking about renting the car from March 9 to the 16th, but that's a national holiday. Do you think we should keep the car til the 17th and come into town that day.

That's all you can get as insurance - Margarita includes the maximum possible.

I wouldn't worry too much about national holidays. Just as with Labor Day in the US, most of the businesses you'd want to use will be open as usual.

#8 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:06 PM

Oh, and you'll be really glad you took a class with Josefina. We've done it multiple times and will do it again. You learn a lot each time, and she's a great person to spend time with cooking and talking about food and culture. She has a great garden, as well, that's impressive even to a non-gardener like me.

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:55 PM

They have added the tequila factory, but didn't notice a name change.  I got the best filet minion there.  Husband, and many friends have had fish dishes and not fried in grease, excellent..

Anonymous

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:09 PM

Had a friend eat there yesterday orthe day before and were declared the first customer.  i would love to know the name so I can check the pics on the fdacebook page.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#11 tbiram

tbiram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:48 AM

Can I get an address or location of this former Gusto's so we can give it a try. Also, any suggestions on where a good place to watch the sun set might be? Possibly while having a meal.

#12 tbiram

tbiram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:33 PM

Had a friend eat there yesterday orthe day before and were declared the first customer.  i would love to know the name so I can check the pics on the fdacebook page.

Can I get an address or location of this former Gusto's so we can give it a try.

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:54 PM

Just made a post about it.  It is called (now) Las Marias.  It is south of town, just after the Fly High Zip Line.  It will be on your left.  It is a couple of miles south of the International Pier if that gives you some distance info.

Anonymous

#14 divern2h20

divern2h20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:54 PM

Any place along the water front is great.

Personal favorites La Hach, Money Bar, Blue Angel, Rolandi's,

Some how it seems the cruise ships sometime block that last few seconds when the sea eats the sun.

But sunsets on Cozumel are almost always special.

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:41 PM

just understand what the insurance coverage is, and what the deductible is.

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users