We Are Planning On Retiring On The Island Of Cozumel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sable

Sable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Reading, walking, swimming and Early Grey tea "hot"!

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:30 AM

Hi,

We have finally retired and ready to start our adventure of moving to Cozumel.  Cannot wait.  We have been twice and fell in love with the island on our first trip.  However, after some emails with someone who lives on the island plus what I have been reading here, I wonder if it would be a wise move.  We have obtained our visas from the Mexican Consulate in Montreal, Canada.  My husband has a permanent residency and I have a temporary residency. 

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:33 AM

Why are you second guessing your move?

What are your concerns?  

Having lived here for 12 years, and some members much longer than that, I think we might be a good sounding board to discuss the issues.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:33 AM

Yes, there are a lot of people hanging out here with a great deal of experience in long-term living on Cozumel and we would be happy to answer your questions and address concerns.

I would, however, advise you to give it a good long trial  --3-6 months -- in a rental house before you pull up stakes completely. Many ex pats absolutely thrive here.  It's an extremely interesting place to live, always a lot going on.  And very affordable on most counts.   But for others the language, the culture, the weather, etc. turn out to not be their cup of tea.  Rent before you buy would be my advice.  And be sure to include in your trial at least some of the low and shoulder season months -- May through October when temp and humidity is higher than in high season when most tourists visit..  

#4 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:51 AM

Sound advice. You've been twice and fell in love with Cozumel. We have not had a single person come to visit us here for a few weeks without falling in love with Cozumel. But there is a big difference between a few weeks and a few years. My wife and I have been coming for more than twenty years and are still on our honeymoon with our island home. Almost three years ago we bought a place here and still love it. But before making any irreversible decision, understand there are many complexities to life here, and every person is different and has different needs. For some, Cozumel can be Paradise (especially after a dreadful Canadian winter). I have met others who have finally left here for a whole variety of reasons, and it's not so easy having burned all bridges (selling a home takes time, patience and possible losses of hard won retirement income). They might become as the hero of Chekov's "Gooseberries" (the little banker, spending his life fantasizing about retiring to a gooseberry farm. He poured his life savings into it and at the end, grew his first crop; and after tasting the bitter gooseberries, judged them to be "o so sweet"). A trial marriage with Cozumel, I repeat the above, is sound advice.

#5 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

I'll say that when I lived on an island in the US connected to the mainland by an interstate highway causeway (Galveston, TX) there were some significant issues merely as a result of island living even without language or cultural differences.

We own a house in Cozumel and I vacillate about whether I could ever retire there (most closely tied to how deep the snow is in New Hampshire at a given moment).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users