• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 imkennedy

imkennedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:56 PM

Does anyone have an idea how long it is taking to get approval of permanent residence status following application in the US i.e. how long should we plan on staying in Cozumel to get the process finalized before we can return to the US. We are considering doing this in July - hopefully some officials are still on the job then.

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:12 AM

My wife finished hers in December in about 2 week.  Went quick.  I wasn't there as long and had to get a letter to leave and come back.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:48 AM

Our neighbour applied for hers, waited three weeks and had to get a letter to leave in January. My hubby's took 8 weeks, because his had to be sent to Cancun as they had no signing approval here at the time....that was in October. It's not consitent enough to be difinitive about a timeline.

#4 sanddiver

sanddiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, cooking, hiking, learning new things, meeting new people, adventure, loving my partner.

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:35 AM

Mine took four weeks - but I had an attorney and someone to translate for me.

#5 sanddiver

sanddiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, cooking, hiking, learning new things, meeting new people, adventure, loving my partner.

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

Oh - and it takes 10 days from when your residency is approved to get your card, and sign the final paper.  Good luck.

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:48 PM

When the wife and I did the fingerprint interview thing, we got the cards within days.  The missus actually  arrived on the 3rd and met the attorney on the 4th and 5th finishing the in-country paper work.  The paper didn't hit the office until the 8th.  She did the interview on Wed the 17th and picked up the card on Friday 19th.  We did have attorney Gretchen do ours. She knows everyone and besides doing all the work, she can finesse things through the system.  I think if I had a few more days in December I could have done it on one trip.  We were up against the Christmas closure and couldn't get there sooner.

I did my interview last month on February 8th and picked up my card on February 12th.

As far as I know, I think all our stuff went to Cancun as well.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#7 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:10 PM

I've got a pretty detailed write-up elsewhere on this site that includes my experience with the time involved.

We worked with Gretchen Martin as well.

#8 imkennedy

imkennedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:21 PM

It sounds like it might be a good idea to have a lawyer facilitate things at the Cozumel end. We had Monica Sauza help us without FM3 application a few years ago (expired) and she was very good. So it might be a good investment to make sure that there are no hangups with the local officials once we get to that point. Thanks for the advice.

#9 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:29 PM

Monica is no longer doing immigration work. She referred us to Gretchen, but did translations for us.

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:50 AM

Yea, I believe Gretchen had Monica do all of ours too.  Getting things done anywhere is always helped by people who know people.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:48 AM

The big obstacle is avoiding holidays.  Christmas and NY's is combined, and it is long.

Here's the Holidays and observances for Mexico for 2015:http://www.timeandda...olidays/mexico/

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#12 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 03:52 PM

We used a lawyer too, but somehow we got lost in the shuffle when they had no one to approve and sign off on the island. It was all sent to Cancun and I'm sure put on the bottom of someone's piled up desk.....you just never know the circumstances from day to day which equals no consitancy. Count on the worst case senario and hope for the best.

#13 La Bella

La Bella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Travel, reading, jewlery making, swimming

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:02 AM

mstevens:

How much did Gretchen charge you?

La Bella

#14 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:46 PM

How much did Gretchen charge you?

I think it might've been around 3,000 pesos. Whatever it was, it was well worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users