• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:31 AM

The dates for El Cedral for 2015 is Apr/26/2015 - May/03/2015

Other upcoming events

Underwater Digital Fiesta:  April 23 to April 30th

Fishing Tournament is: May 15th-May 17th

Sea Turtle Workshops:  May 15th-Aug 31st

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for the update.

#3 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:37 AM

Good morning, we will be on the island May 2nd/ May 9th. We have drove thru El Cedral but never at festival time. Someone that only visits the island on vacation told my wife to stay away and it was not safe to attend. However we have been on the island many times and I can't believe that would be true?
Does anyone go during festival and will anything be going on Sunday the 3rd?

Thanks for your help!!!

#4 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:05 PM

I'm assuming the lack of responses means I should stay the heck out of there???? I was really hoping to go, but maybe what my wife heard was correct? That's too bad as we have never run into a place on the island where we didn't feel safe. No one goes?
Thanks and can't wait until we get back to the island.....

#5 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:16 PM

Not safe? Ridiculous! It tends to be very hot and if it hasn't rained, it can be very dusty. If it has rained, then it will be very muddy. Parking would be a challenge to find a space closer than one mile. The only way I have done it is to ride the shuttles the city sponsors. It is minimal cost (couple of dollars worth of pesos) and saves all the hassle of dealing with the gridlock and trying to park. The shuttles usually depart from Chedraui on a regular basis.

Personally I am not a big fan of the event. I have gone twice out of 13 years. Bathrooms (port-o-johns) might not be for the tame at heart. It has some good events as well as "state fair" type items. If you have never gone, many would recommend going. Personally, I wouldn't go after dark for the risk of not being able to see, tripping, being stepped on by drunks as it gets late etc.

Other than what I consider hassles, certainly no danger by any normal standards. Do not drink alcohol and then drive your vehicle, the police will be out in mass to prevent drunk driving accidents. I guess it could have been considered a bit scary 15 plus years ago as the highway used to be filled with compromised drivers.

You'll be fine.

#6 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:17 AM

Next to Carnaval the festival at El Cedral is one of our all time favorite parties  on the island. Think old time county fair only with more beer. Parking can be tight and it can be dusty but the people watching is great and there is lots of food. The last day also has the best costumes and pageantry although the bull fights are over by then.

Have fun and check it out!

cedralpeeps.jpg

snack-kids.jpg

fan-girl.jpg

#7 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:24 AM

Thanks for the info, I was hoping we could check it out. I am always looking to do new things on the island and experiance what Cozumel has to offer. I love getting off the beaten path and seeing what I can find.

#8 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

Someone that only visits the island on vacation told my wife to stay away and it was not safe to attend. However we have been on the island many times and I can't believe that would be true?

I haven't actually attended the festival at El Cedral, but I've been to El Cedral a number of times. It's a sleepy little hamlet, and I've never felt in the tiniest danger of anything other, perhaps, that running out of gas. 

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:50 PM

if you get early enough, it's not a problem taking your own vehicle. The big focus is the horse races, and bull fights.

Based on previous years, they had buses running from town to El Cedral if you want to avoid driving all together.

We've gone for years, but not this year.  It does get really HOT, and it is dusty.  There is food, and drinks everywhere from all kinds of vendors.  Some people set up food service in their house. We did that one time.  

I have only gone during the day and early evening, and never encountered a problem.

There is police, and security everywhere.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:35 PM

if you get early enough, it's not a problem taking your own vehicle. The big focus is the horse races, and bull fights.

Based on previous years, they had buses running from town to El Cedral if you want to avoid driving all together.

We've gone for years, but not this year.  It does get really HOT, and it is dusty.  There is food, and drinks everywhere from all kinds of vendors.  Some people set up food service in their house. We did that one time.  

I have only gone during the day and early evening, and never encountered a problem.

There is police, and security everywhere.

Thanks for the info!!

We are thinking we will be there around noon time (or is that too early to see anything?), would you recommend taking the bus from town or just driving? I'm sure we will only be there for a few hours at best before we move along. Do they have any horse racing that day? We do NOT want to see the bull fight's...

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:48 AM

These are some pic's from 2014;  The little kid just cracked me up.  He was a charmer.

11053151_786641284724583_54210048103230311076174_786641298057915_46140555004749611083908_786641338057911_47768063190827311095349_786641311391247_11793023942911110475689_786641354724576_655567434007719

Anonymous

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:57 AM

I go early, because I really don't want to deal with the heavy traffic in late afternoon, and early evening.  It really depends on what days you go what you're going to see.

I only attend the last day of the finals for the horse races.  The horses races seem to be the biggest attraction, and that starts around (trying to remember) 2 pm.

I have not seem a schedule of events, but if I (or anyone else) find it, will post.

Over the past few years, it has attracted a lot of small time carnival type vendors, and rides for the kids.  There is one HUGE stand that sells all kinds of kitchie stuff  as well as ceramic cookware.  The cookware is really basic stuff, really cheap, and holds up to use.  That alone one year was worth going.

Anonymous

#13 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:47 PM

Here's the program:
http://www.cozumel.g...ex.php/programa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users