6 replies to this topic

#1 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:30 AM

looking for suitcases  about 20 kg capacity to buy,  the ones here are too small  we need up to 3

#2 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:56 PM

Try Don Nassim's Commercial Mexicana on the north side of the plaza. They ain't cheap, but as they say, "our suitcases make multiple round trips, they don't fall apart after their first use". I have purchased bags there multiple times and was always satisfied. One bonus, the bags they sell are different in color and design than the mass produced bags, they are always easy to spot coming off the conveyer belt at baggage claim.

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:46 PM

You might also try el mercado.  Their stuff is cheaply made but also pretty cheap to buy.  If you just need it for one trip and then don't want the suitcases down the road, that's an option.  Another is to purchase large plastic tubs which can also be shipped through on the planes as long as they satisfy the dimensions requirement which is  usually 62" total.  When AJ and I moved down, we made several trips with large tubs full of stuff.  They are more of a hassle to handle but you can pack more stuff in them.  And these days you can actually buy large good quality ones on the island.

It has been my rather considerable experience re hauling large bags and tubs on planes that they never check the actual dimensions at the counter unless you have some absolutely massive tub that is obviously WAY over the dimensional limit.

Coming IN to Cozumel with tubs, they will stop you at customs and grovel through them for sure.  Going out that won't be a problem.

#4 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:52 PM

thanks I will try both places    maybe someone will come up with a couple of second hand ones yet 

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:25 AM

I do not have any extra bags, but you can use plastic containers, and duct tape/belt them closed.  I believe Chedaui's is having a sale on them.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:07 AM

I've moved a lot of tubs down here by air and never had a single problem.  If you're on a non-stop, tape .em up back to the stone age.  Stopping over on the way to the UK in the US, I would tape more lightly and add belts because they might want to open them and see whatcha got.

Leaving Mexico you will have no problem getting help shifting those tubs along the way.  Although if you're leaving from Cancun, I would consider investing in a car and driver to meet you in Playa for the trip to the airport. The tricyclo drivers aren't allowed to come into the bus station and there are no porters so you'll be left to drag those tubs from the entrance to your bus before you'll get anyone who can help you with them.

Have a tricyclo driver take care of you on both ferry ends.  In the states there are heavy duty, free luggage rollers in the customs area which make moving stacks of tubs relatively easy.  Don't know the routine when you get to your UK airport.  If they have carts available you're golden.

Of course, if you're leaving from Coz, request a taxi van to the airport and tip extra for help with the tubs.  At the airport here there are ALWAYS 2-3 porters waiting to assist you and for as long as it takes.

#7 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:03 AM

managed to get 2 at don N asims  pricey but really good quality will haul all we need thanks to all  we have to catch trains when we reach uk so boxes would be a problem but thanks again for the ideas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users