• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 80fly

80fly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:25 PM

We are making our second trip to Cozumel. Last year we stayed at Secrets Aura and are doing same this year. We thought we would come a couple days early and stay in town before hitting our AI. Casa Mexicana looks like its right in the heart of the city and receives pretty good reviews. Any feedback on this hotel good or bad?

80Fly

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

This is a lovely hotel with an excellent buffet breakfast.  The location couldn't be better.  The pool is kind of funny being only about 2 feet deep.  But it's very pretty, cantilevered out over the balcony where you can people watch on the malecon below and take in the beautiful blue water just beyond.  Super location for walking to virtually all the best upscale restaurants in town.  You might get hooked on staying in or near town after this trip and no more AL's for you. That happens to a lot of people because San Miguel is such a lively, interesting city. But that depends on what you like to do, of course.

#3 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:47 PM

I stayed at Casa Mexicana once a few years ago, and, except for the glorified Kiddie Pool, I thought it was great. Nice, comfortable rooms, comfortable beds, good AC (my stay was in July, so that was very important), good breakfast buffet, and great location. I would be happy to stay there again, though probably not during the summer months, when a real swimming pool becomes very important to me. I stayed in one of the rooms on the south (non-ocean view) side; the balcony had a view of the parking lot at the back of the Punta Langostos mall, but I wasn't there for the view.

#4 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:25 AM

We have stayed there a few times over the last few years for a couple of days at a time while waiting for our condo to be ready.  It is good for a nice central location.  It is clean, comfortable and priced well.  I would agree with Carey a few years ago the breakfast was good, but I thought it has gone down hill a bit.  If you are not looking for it to be a resort and are just wanting to be in town it is an excellent choice. One other piece of advice, if you pop for the oceanview try to make sure you are up high, there is a taxi stand right downstairs and all you hear every 5 seconds is Taxi? Taxi? Taxi service!  if you are on a lower floor.  We bounce between staying here and Vista del Mar right next door if we have a couple of nights to kill in town. 

#5 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:14 PM

We've stayed there many times. The staff couldn't be friendlier, and the ocean view couldn't be better. Our only issue is that starting about 6 am (or earlier) they start setting up the breakfast restaurant, thumping carts, dumping ice, starting up the carrot pulverizing machine, etc. We found that putting a towel on the floor at the door crack helps.

#6 80fly

80fly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

Thanks everyone for your timely feedback. We have gone ahead with the reservation. Can't wait to get back to "quirky" Cozumel.

One other thing if I may.....we did not make it to the untamed east side last time. Any suggestions regarding the best way to accomplish? Rent a vehicle, jeep excursion, taxi, etc.? We like to do things on our own but don't know about driving regulations, having a beer or two, access and those kind of things. Can we take it all in in one day?

Many thanks!

80Fly

#7 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:35 PM

My own advice would be to rent a jeep or car (NEVER a moped or scooter), but ONLY if the designated driver is a complete tea totaller. Also, if you plan on stopping to walk out onto the wild beaches or ironstone lookouts, getting a vehicle that locks up is imperative if you plan on leaving ANYTHING that you don't want stolen behind. If you rent a jeep and leave your camera or purse back in the open back end, or even hidden under the seat, even if only "for just a minute or two", kiss it goodbye. Cozumel is a very, very safe tourist destination, but leaving valuables in the back of an open jeep is just plain stupid.

If you want the freedom to enjoy whatever pops up, whether it's walking out on the wild ironstone to see the blowhole erupt, taking the tour at Punta Sur Park to see the crocodiles in the mangrove swamp, or having a Margarita or six at Coconuts or Mezcalito's, cut a deal with a taxi driver for the day - or 5-6 hours. It might cost you $100 or more, but you can see what you want to see, spend whatever time you want, do whatever you want to do, and not worry about the driving - or the fine if you get caught driving after "only 2 beers - honest, Officer!"

#8 80fly

80fly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:47 AM

Great information DJDiverDan. We'll take your advice and try for a taxi or maybe the Bar Hop Bus. Also looking into one of the jeep tours. Looks like there are many reputable services. It would be nice to find something that just my wife and I could experience without the crush of the "cruise crowd". Kind of more laid back with the ability to set our own agenda.

80Fly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users