• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:32 AM

We are flying in Friday morning and bringing a dozen backpacks for Adrian to give to the school children.  I know to have copies of the Walmart receipts.  Should I leave all of the tags on them, or remove them?  Anything else to avoid the ire of customs?

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

You are allowed to bring in, (correct me if I'm wrong on the figure someone) $300 US/per person worth of whatever.  If the backpacks are less than 2 x $300=$600, you haven't got a problem.  If you are questioned, just show them the receipt and no need to take off the tags.  All they care about is that you're bringing stuff down to try and sell it.   Tell them "son para los niños"  (They are for the children.) Sohn PAR-ah lows NEEN-yos.

#3 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:02 PM

We brought backpacks over Christmas for Adrian's cause. Left the tags on and brought the original receipt. He already insisted on paying us by PayPal prior to us coming down.

What was sweet about flying Delta, they had a basket of playing cards at checkin free for the taking. The ticket agent watched me put in two decks of cards in our checkin, and asked why. I said they were for the Mexican children. She carefully weighed our checkin bag, that wasn't quite at 50 lbs, and kept throwing decks of cards in until it did!

#4 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:47 AM

That was very nice of the Delta folks.  The total for the 12 is under $100.  Looks like I will be OK!  Thanks for the responses.  Looking forward to 10 days on the island and, maybe going to Steve's block party this time.

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#5 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:27 PM

Way back in the day when I used to sell goods to my clients on the Mexican border I gave them a phony receipt and  phony tags to put on the goods.  $1500 worth of good magically turned into less than $300 and had a nice "Made in the USA" tag on it to go with an American Certificate of Origin  with a raised seal straight from the DFW WTC. 

Get creative, those morons will never know the difference.

“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users