Trip Insurance

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:13 PM

I've read all the past posts about TI.  We have always purchase it w/our trips on Expedia.  The coverage we choose includes the max of everything:  Evac, medical at maximum. The normal stuff:  Hurricanes, death in the family cancellation, lost baggage, just about anything.

My question to this forum of seasoned travelers to/from Cozumel is which Trip Insurance do you use and why?  I realize there are specific insurance policies for diving, like needing a hyperbaric chamber.  We don't dive, just snorkel.  Our TI usually costs about $85-$90 p/p for our trips.  Is that a reasonable cost?  Maybe it depends on age (62/61)?  I'm just curious about the companies you choose for your TI and why.  I think this info would be great for anyone reading the forum, but if you would rather PM me please do.

Thanks!

David

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#2 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

I think travel insurance could be a wise investment, especially if traveling during potential storm season. The threat of a potential landfall of a hurricane/tropical storm will shut down the ferries 48 hours in advance and can cancel International flights far in advance. I consider the risk of a storm to be minimal, but in season, it is not rare for travel plans to be disrupted. In the event of medical issues, if you prefer to be treated at home, air evacuation coverage can save a large sum of money and prevent delays as they want some guarantee of being paid.

I have never purchased travel insurance myself as I have great flexibility in travel dates. Personally, I wouldn't prefer medical evacuation to the States. I'd weigh cost of your trip and possessions, then make a judgment of what seems reasonable for your peace of mind.

#3 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:03 AM

If you have a good health policy at home, you are already covered -- partially or in full -- for medical treatment in Cozumel, including for a dive accident, and for emergency medical evacuation. Employer-arranged policies are good. For these policies, you would be responsible for the out-of-network fee (if applicable), the deductible and the co-pay.

Dive travel insurance is a supplement that will cover some or all of the deductible and co-pay of your health insurance if you have a dive accident.

Trip insurance is really designed to cover expenses related to re-booking, delays, lost luggage, etc. Taken as a whole, I would not advise relying on travel insurance to cover you for a major medical emergency.

You may want to ask your current health carrier if there is a way to lower your out of pocket expenses should you have a major medical event while traveling abroad.

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:03 AM

I buy from  Medex  for mainly medical 'extra' coverage.  It doesn't really cover cancelled flights or bags or what not.  It covers medical.  I get it mainly for the medical evac coverage, just in case.  I'll eat the flight, nothing is valuable in my bags really and I own the house.

I think for the older peeps coming with us, medicare and some of the medigap plans do not have coverage outside the US.  My regular employer-provided Blue Cross does.  I think last I checked there is even a participating provider on the Island for BC/BS!  The one time I used it for the missus, I paid for her stitches on the Island and BC paid me back.  Never got to the travel insurance, but I have a pretty good plan.    I just don't know than any regular insurance will eat the 30k+ to fly us back to the US, so for a 3 bucks a day I buy it.  Gets me evac, double coverage on dive accidents since I have DAN, $100K in extra medical and some bonus cash if I misplace a limb or something.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:53 AM

Blue Cross covers justified emergency evacuations. Medicare does not cover medical outside of the USA.

Each person should learn the max out of pocket per his policy and travel prepared to cover that amount with a credit card, just in case.

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:41 AM

Wow, Deb.  I just checked BlueCard again and my BC now has 5 doctors, 1 hospital and 1 pharmacy covered in Cozumel!

Wow.  I guess I should check my BC and see what all they might cover in the way of evac and all. 

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#7 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:46 AM

We always get it now that we are in our 50's and we have aging parents.  I would do it for the medevac alone.  Seems like it urns us about what you mentioned and i would have to check with my better half to see who it is through.

#8 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:08 PM

it urns us about what you mentioned

So, it includes a cremation benefit?

#9 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

So, it includes a cremation benefit?

:D Not any of the policies I've seen, but my trust specifically spells out where my ashes will be spread between the Isla and the main land.  The wife doesn't get the money unless my last dance is on the water.  :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting on Cigna to get w/me through our corporate go-between to see what they cover, if any.

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#10 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:37 AM

LOL!  runs not urns.

Just remember even if Cigna covers you at the time most hospitals demand cash payment before you leave so have a credit card with a high limit.

#11 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:00 PM

Theoretically, the e-vac and emergency medical coverage comes with my car insurance. I pay extra for it and it covers up to 4 people traveling with me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users