Buying And Leaving A Car On Coz?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lheblen

lheblen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Diving, home remodeling, fishing, drinking, relaxing.

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:57 AM

Hello to all, my wife and i recently purchased a condo on the island. We were wondering if anyone had any insight on buying and leaving a car on the island?

We understand it will take a certain type of visa to tag/license the vehicle as well. Anyone have any experience with this?

Another concern is leaving the vehicle there for up to 4 to 6 months at worst without being started/ ran. Any advise/ experience there?

Parking wont be a consideration as we have permission to park outside the complex, and we arent really worried about theft. We're  trying to get out there now 4-5 times a year though and rental fees are just wasted money. Thanks

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:47 AM

We bought one.  We got our Perm Resident cards to register it as the latest was you need a permanent or temp to get a curp to get it registered, but I hear the wonderful attorney Gisela might now be able to get it registered with out the curp so you can have one on a FMM.

Gisela - Cozumellawyer.com (gisela@cozumellawyer.com) 

Got lots of insurance from Irma and it wasn't expensive.  Irma Cantarell <irma@seguroscantarell.com>   They also own a rental fleet, so you might check in too and what she has for sale.  We went all the way to Merida car shopping to pay more for a car Irma had sold a few months before. *facepalm*

And if you bought a condo, do you have an HOA with staff or someone who checks in or manages your place?  Hire one of them on the side to start it once a month or week and wash it or whatever.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

We bought a Nissan at the dealer because we wanted a vehicle with an official service presence on the island and VW's didn't meet our needs or budget as well.

Ours is registered with a CURP because we're permanent residents. Gisela Rodriguez is possibly the only lawyer who could handle registering a car without a CURP. I have heard no reports of anyone else's managing this feat. There may be other good reasons to seek permanent residency if you own property on the island besides registering a vehicle.

Our property manager drives the car on his errands about once a week to scare the snakes out of the fuel injectors or whatever, keep the battery going, etc. He delivers it to the airport before we arrive and picks it up after we leave. If you go with cvchief's suggestion, you will be much happier in the long run.

We rent a parking space downtown. Our house has iron gates, but they wouldn't prevent someone from climbing over and messing with the car. Another reason is that we rent the house out and we don't want the car there when renters are there. Finally, the parking space rent is low and it gives us "free" parking downtown. This is particularly nice when we use the ferry and return after the public lots are closed since our is accessible 24/7.

Irma Portilla de Cantarell is our insurance person as well and we've been highly satisfied with our insurance.

Honestly, unless you get a great bargain on a car, rental fees are still likely to be less than the cost of ownership for 5-6 visits per year. It is nice, though, to be able to leave a "beach bag", tools, sunglasses, and other personal items in a car and to have it magically appear at the airport for your arrival.

#4 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:17 PM

This is kind of funny about running the cars to keep them from sitting too long.  Our neighbor has the same situation.  His car sits 5-6 months out of the year.  So he gives us the keys and we exercise it for him during the summer and fall months when we are down there.  In return, I do light maintenance for him and an occasional gift card.  It is a win win for both of us.

Keep in mind that the electronics stay on in the car even when the ignition is off.  So be sure to disconnect the battery if you are going to be gone for more than 3-4 weeks.  Buy a wrench to keep in the car.  You might even want to consider a "Battery Tender" if you can keep the battery inside.  I had a few specialty cars and all of them were outfitted with BT's to keep the batteries charged.

Gisella is on our list of people to talk to, if the car ferry from MS or FL doesn't pan out when we move down next February.

That being said, we are happy to exercise and maintain your car for you when we are down and you are not.   PM me if this is of interest.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#5 lheblen

lheblen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Diving, home remodeling, fishing, drinking, relaxing.

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:33 PM

Thanks for all of the info. I think our amigo that maintains the property could start the car from time to time. Great idea. Am not interested in a new car, only something small to use when there. Right now, rental fees are +/- $450 USD per trip. 10 visits over 2 years would put us spending more than an economy car would cost i think. I will look into a vehicle in June when i go back and go from there. Thanks again.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:10 PM

Used cars are pretty expensive compared to the states.  As for new cars, very few deals can be had, and they are very expensive.

There is a FB site where locals posts cars for sale, you can start looking there to get an idea of what is available most of the time, and costs.  Have the car gone over by a mechanic prior to purchase as well.

Once you find something you want to purchase, you have got to make sure the paperwork is in order prior to going to the "DMV".

https://www.facebook...44163822295884/

Gisela is also my lawyer, and even though she has won the current battle with the "DMV" I would strongly advise you to go through the process of getting either your Temp or Permanent residence.  It's not only so that you're able to keep your vehicle plates current, there are so other benefits as a property owner. 

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:38 PM

As for new cars, very few deals can be had, and they are very expensive.

We ended up paying roughly the same as the same model would have cost in the US with similar options. The salesman *offered* a price lower than list, and we were able to get him to throw in a few freebies as well.

I was as shocked as anyone when that happened.

Gisela is also my lawyer, and even though she has won the current battle with the "DMV" I would strongly advise you to go through the process of getting either your Temp or Permanent residence.  It's not only so that you're able to keep your vehicle plates current, there are so other benefits as a property owner. 

I couldn't agree more. As good an attorney as she is, I'd never want to count on the power of precedent in the local legal system. People who own property really benefit from having a residency status. 

Doesn't Residente Temporal limit the amount of time you can spend out of Mexico?

exercise ... your car

Excellent! That's how I'm going to refer to this from now on.

#8 Skibum

Skibum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:59 PM

We have two vehicles on Cozumel, one registered in Colorado, the other in Q Roo. If you own a condo you should be able to get a curp. With a curp you can register a car (with a utility bill as well). We do not have RT or perm.

#9 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:34 PM

You can ONLY get a CURP if you are a citizen or have a permanent or temporary residency status.

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:25 PM

You guys and your new cars....

Dori is a 2009.  And my MX car is the new one. hehe

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....