• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kablooey

kablooey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:07 PM

Hi. I'm Carrie, mom of 3, but only diver in family. I've been coming to Cozumel for about 15 years, every chance I get. That used to be 4X a year including a month in the summer, but is now just a week or 2 (if I'm lucky) per year.

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:44 AM

Hola Carrie.

One week is better then no week(s).

We first came to the island when our son was 5.  That was 40 years ago.  It was one week at a time for a long time, then it increased.  We've lived here full time for the past 12 years.

It does reverse itself down the road.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 kablooey

kablooey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:45 PM

I started out by almost moving after my first week, then tapered off when kids were all home, so I do hope to ramp back up again eventually. And form a parabola, I guess.

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:08 PM

"And form a parabola, I guess."

You owe me a keyboard cleaning.

#5 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:14 PM

I feel for you as the only diver in the family, something I've never had to bear. My wife and I started dating in scuba class in high school and our poor son really had no choice. Fortunately, when he did the freebie "try the gear in the pool" demo when he was 10 he swam off with it and sat at the bottom until they wrestled him up. Are yours old enough to learn to dive, or do they just not like it? Now that the kid is 20 and in college and my wife is done with being a mad scientist, she skives off to Cozumel for scandalously long periods of time while I slave away here in the ice mines <sniff!>. We used to say we'd probably never retire to the island but it's looking as if those words, as so many, are likely to be snacked upon.

#6 kablooey

kablooey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:27 PM

Snack away... that sounds awesome. Eat your words with some picante sauce. Love the story of how you met your wife; thanks for sharing. We have 2 grown kids who don't dive but my ten year old is starting her open water class tomorrow! So if all goes well, I'll have a little dive buddy before too long. My husband's favorite water activity is the swim up bar, so my daughter is my last good hope.

#7 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:06 AM

If you don't already have one, I know a couple of really good instructor / divemasters for kids on the island.

#8 kablooey

kablooey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

I used to know a few but have lost track over the years. I'd definitely take a recommendation.i pretty much learned by watching/getting tips from better divers. Started in Cozumel w Sergio Sandoval Sr. at Deportes Aquaticos.

#9 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:54 PM

I really like Sandro Huerta, who's currently at Deep Blue, and Gabriel Santana Perez, at Del Mar Aquatics. Both are great instructors, good with kids, calm divers who know how to find stuff but don't molest the sea life, and know the reefs like the backs of their hands. Everyone has their favorite DM's, but those are the ones I've had work with my kid, nephews, etc. Sandro is my top choice for divemaster of all time.

#10 kablooey

kablooey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:54 PM

I really appreciate the advice. I used to get a great discount from Deep Blue because I wrote a really positive write-up about them for a long defunct Cozumel magazine. I will definitely look into having Sandro help my daughter when we get to Coz together, but for this trip, it's just me. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users