• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 coldAndGrayNJ

coldAndGrayNJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:41 AM

Newbie here...my husband and I are toying with the idea of a partial or full move to Cozumel in a few years. I'm trying to get my head around the legal requirements for my working situation, but so far haven't been able to find much pertaining to my specific situation.

My apologies if this is a redundant post. I swear I've tried to find previous threads!

Anyway...I'm a freelance web developer, working remotely for my clients in the US (where I also live). At my target volume on my new business model, I should be pulling $6k to $7k a month in revenue, with minimal overhead. If it's relevant, I have an LLC based in NJ.

How would that work, legally, if we were to move to Mexico? What sort of visa is required? How does income tax work there?

Thank you in advance for any explanations or links you can share! (Of course, if/when the time comes, we'd work with an actual attorney to make we sure we do things properly.)

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:15 AM

As long as you do not work in Mexico or for a Mexican business you shouldn't need to be concerned with working papers.

I would go through the pinned posting by M.Stevens on the process to become either a Temp or Permanent resident of Mexico.  By becoming a Temp/Perm resident means that you do not have to leave every 6 months to renew your visa.

Temp residence must be renewed yearly, where the Permanent residence is good for years.  I use the term years, because nobody knows if it's good for 5, 10 years, or your lifetime.

As the time approaches to decide if this is something you want to do, then I would contact a lawyer (Gisela would be my recommendation) about any changes to the immigration laws.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:59 AM

I agree with Paula.  You are opening an unnecessary can of worms applying to do business in Mexico. Your business is in the states and you work long distance, electronically.  Period. If you will no longer have a physical place of residency in the US, open an account with some place like a  UPS Store  which you can use as your US mailing address for your US income taxes and other such stuff.  

#4 coldAndGrayNJ

coldAndGrayNJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:07 PM

Thank you for the responses. I'll check out that pinned thread!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users