27 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:45 PM

Caribbean life filmed in Cozumel!
Season 3, Episode 14 features Nancy Edwards of Cozumel Living Real Estate Company showing properties to a Texas couple that would love to fulfill their lifelong dream of Caribbean living.
Air times are as followed:
Sunday April 12th 
9PM Eastern | 8PM C 
Monday April 13th 
12AM Eastern | 11PM C

This is a couple who want to buy a condo.  It is not the same show or the folks from NM who bought the Thirsty Cougar.

I hope by the exposure of this show motivates more folks to take the plunge, and all real estate agencies will benefit.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:57 PM

Just watced the episode kinda boring. Ran into Nancy and her husband a few years back at Mezcallitos. Much better in person than on TV (especially after some Tequilas)

#3 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:38 PM

Well they picked the BEST place to live!  :P

And it appears most or all of the long shots were not on Cozumel.  Heck on had mountains.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#4 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:20 AM

Cvchief, we were trying to figure out where some of the shots came from also.  It looked like the DP didn't get enough "B" roll and the editor had to find a generic beach scene that was reused several time in the piece.  Kentukcoz, agreed, this episode was overproduced.  Everyone sounded like they were reading from a script that they had just seen for the first time.  

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#5 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:09 AM

I agree.  Too rehearsed.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

I wish KAC would post the scoop on the "production".  Her husband was an extra, and his role was to lounge around the pool at the condo (they are owners there).

The backstory sounded much more interesting then the show.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:43 AM

I am more looking forward to the episode of Naked and Afraid.

#8 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:56 PM

I know one of the DPs' that shoots for NaF.  He wasn't on the CZM shoot but he made it sound like the crew doesn't get to enjoy much of the local social life on that show.  They are pretty much out with the subjects for the entire time.  Not even a hotel at night.

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#9 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:47 PM

Also just didn't think the show (I know its only a half hour) did anything to show what makes Coz special compared to any other Caribbean expat destination. 

#10 Lisa H

Lisa H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

I've watched this show quite a bit and looked forward to the Coz episodes. I admit I mostly watch them to get a feel for the various locations, and they really don't give you much of that. Unfortunately, they are overly scripted; we've made a drinking game from the following phrases:

1. "Oh, wow!" -- said by prospective buyers when viewing a property -- careful with this one; if you drink a shot per time, you will be ugly drunk by the time they finish showing the first property.

2. "I thought I'd find you here!" -- said by realtor, usually outside by pool, on deck, or nearby beach. Two shots, since it's rarer. 

3. "You've made our decision a tough one!" -- sometimes phrased slightly differently, said by prospective buyers. 

4. Grand slam: "the ensuite doesn't have two sinks". Chug whatever's left in the bottle. 

Hopefully, they'll have a few more shows in Coz, so those of us at a distance and considering taking up residence there have a bit more to drool over. 

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:40 AM

Lisa H...what a hoot!

How about when they say "will this be enough room to entertain all our friends"?  

Anonymous

#12 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:02 AM

I would rather see them go back in some of the residential areas and look at homes instead of the overpriced beach front condos that they seem to focus on.  Just my opinion.

#13 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:34 PM

In the first episode, the buyers did, in fact, focus on houses in non-beachfront residential areas.

It never makes sense to me that people now seem to use "home" to mean a house, when a home can be anything from a mansion to a cramped apartment, to a tent or boat.

#14 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:55 PM

Lisa H... hahahahaha, good one!

I like watching House Hunters International, more for seeing how people live in other countries. But a $750K+ budget in... Roatan? Costa Rica? etc.. makes it ridiculous. Of course there are properties that cost that (& more) but not exactly what makes it fun for most of us to watch. I missed this latest Coz one on CLiving, but thought the Thirsty Cougar people made the right decision in their house.

I would add to the game: "The bedrooms are small &/or dark" and "this kitchen/bathroom is dated". Somehow only what is high-end in the US, including granite, is what a lot of people focus on overseas. "No tub or dishwasher?"  AAAGH.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:32 PM

"...the master bedroom seems small"  

I don't know what others do in a bathroom or bedroom but it's not ballroom dancing!

I would have LOVED to be beachfront, but alas above my payroll.  Plus my husband INSISTS on outdoor space, so a balcony wouldn't have cut it.

Anonymous

#16 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:20 PM

I don't know what others do in a bathroom or bedroom but it's not ballroom dancing!

Try it.  Maybe you will like it.  :P

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#17 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:07 AM

that would mean I would have to take up ballroom dancing lesson.  Move to a bigger house, and find friends for entertaining.  Of course, if the guest bedrooms are small, I would not be able to have all these family and friends stay over, and if the backyard isn't the size of a football field, BBQing is out as well.

Alas, I am stuck.

Anonymous

#18 Lisa H

Lisa H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:15 AM

I've never truly understood the folks that want to move to a foreign country but want their homes to resemble something in an average US suburb "but with Caribbean flair!" 

I would *expect* the houses/condos, etc., in a foreign country to cater to the norms for that country. Don't like that country's norms? Build your own the way you like it, or just hush. LOL! 

I also wish more of these shows would consider showing lower priced properties that actual working stiffs can afford. When I hear the realtor ask "what's your budget?" and the amounts are astronomical, I just cringe. 

#19 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:43 AM

I've never truly understood the folks that want to move to a foreign country but want their homes to resemble something in an average US suburb "but with Caribbean flair!" 

I would *expect* the houses/condos, etc., in a foreign country to cater to the norms for that country. Don't like that country's norms? Build your own the way you like it, or just hush. LOL! 

I also wish more of these shows would consider showing lower priced properties that actual working stiffs can afford. When I hear the realtor ask "what's your budget?" and the amounts are astronomical, I just cringe. 

Exactly. Want to live in Peoria? There's already a perfectly good one, right there in Peoria.

We looked at a couple of places that used imported light switches and other fixtures and such to make them extra-American. We had to wonder where they thought they'd get replacement parts when it all started to go bad in the caribbean environment. Our house uses all-Mexican fixtures now (especially after we replaced some imported things with local after they went bad) and it's much easier to know that a local repair person isn't going to stand there just scratching his head wondering how he's going to get parts or put centimeter-sized things in inch-sized spaces.

The whole budget thing I suspect reflects 2 issues: one is aspirational, wanting (or possibly needing for contractual or other reasons) to show very expensive properties. The other is that "reasonable" house pricing is really highly variable. I live in a fairly cheap housing market. People who move here from a manufacturing or service job in other markets, having sold their houses there, can out-bid local doctors and business owners for houses because they have all that equity realized.

#20 Lisa H

Lisa H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 02:44 PM

The whole budge thing I suspect reflects 2 issues: one is aspirational, wanting (or possibly needing for contractual or other reasons) to show very expensive properties. The other is that "reasonable" house pricing is really highly variable. I live in a fairly cheap housing market. People who move here from a manufacturing or service job in other markets, having sold their houses there, can out-bid local doctors and business owners for houses because they have all that equity realized.

I've seen this happen near where I live, so I understand what you're saying. There's a large retirement community that attracts mostly out-of-state buyers, and because they think our local prices are cheap (even if they're inflated), they're more than happy to buy at those prices. Consequently, you don't find many locals buying property there. 

Having watched a number of CL episodes, I've seen a few times when the prospects have said that none of the homes shown fit their criteria, and the update is very vague. And some of the homes presented aren't even close to what the buyers requested to see, so I suspect you're right about contractual issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users