Plan Local? (Not Residency Cards)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lheblen

lheblen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Diving, home remodeling, fishing, drinking, relaxing.

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:41 PM

I searched the forum and didn't find anything on this topic, but point me in the right direction if I missed something.

I've heard about a supposed Plan Local card (that is not the same as the temporary/permanent resident card) which you can get on the island, but I'm not sure where to go or how to get it or if it even actually exists.  Supposedly it requires some proof of property ownership like utility bills.  Been told there is a "kiosk by the ferries" where this can be obtained, but I didn't see anything there either.  So what if anything do you all know about this?

Also, once we do get the Temporary Residence cards that we are applying for here at home, my understanding is that we will be able to obtain local rates for some things on the island.  Am I right about that?

I'd sure appreciate any info anyone could share, thanks!

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:16 PM

Plan Local is a generic term for ferry company discount cards, which are often accepted as proof of residency on the island .

They don't care if you own property or not. Utility bills don't prove ownership (which should be obvious) but are widely accepted as proof of address.

To qualify, you need proof of either citizenship or legal residence, proof of an address on the island (such as a utility bill), and a fee.

Residency will not automatically qualify you for local rates. Neither will a Plan Local card, except for discounted ferry fares. It's pretty random-seeming at times.

#3 Surfer

Surfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:14 PM

Some additional info...

Both the Mexico Waterjets and Ultramar ferry companies offer these plan local cards. (I don't know if Barcos Caribe will have their own card.... I really doubt it.) You only need one card, and it will be accepted by all ferry companies.

Two years ago when I renewed my Ultramar card, I went to their office just north of the plaza. The renewal was painless and my current card is good for 3 years. I think there was a small fee.

As mstevens mentioned, the non-ferry discounts are pretty random. Off the top of my head (and likely out dated) I remember getting 15% off the price of food at Rock N Java, 15% off at Cinco Soles and Ron Jons, and no discount at the Museum restaurant. My advice is to discretely ask wherever you go if they have a discount for locals. Some will ask for a local card, some will give you a discount or "happy hour" just for asking, and plenty will tell you that they don't give a local discount. :rolleyes:

One other thing: If you have any kind of residency, you can apply for a Fundacion de Parques y Museos de Cozumel (FPMC) card. Last time I applied was in 2012, and I think it was 100MXN for a card valid for 2 years. This lets you into Chankanaab and Punta Sur parks for free. Both of these parks are beautiful and 100MXN for 2 years of admission is well worth it. However, this card is not accepted anywhere else as a "local card".

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:58 PM

plenty will tell you that they don't give a local discount. 

Even if they actually do.

There's no universal definition of "local" and I think honestly it could be argued that if one doesn't have a Cozumel voter's credential one might legitimately not be "local" by a reasonable definition.

We're just happy for any extras we're given and cheerfully accept when we're told we don't qualify even if we did qualify at that same place 2 days before.

However, this card is not accepted anywhere else as a "local card".

Even though it's harder to get than the ferry card!

I was happily surprised to learn that not only does one get free admission to the museum, San Gervasio, Chankanaab, and Punta Sur but that one can also get free "rental" on the required snorkel vest at Punta Sur. I hate using them and it diminished my irritation that at least I didn't have to pay for it.

#5 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:56 AM

Hmmm.  Who at Punta Sur is requiring vests.  I do always wear my own because that is a long swim to the reef in open ocean, but I have never noticed any lifeguards or anything.  Maybe only in high season?

#6 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:52 PM

We had guys from 2 different places run over and inform us vests were required. One wanted to rent them to us, the other said if we were FPMC members we could use theirs for free. This was most recently a few weeks ago.

#7 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:35 AM

Interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users