• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:08 AM

Being held tonight at Woody's an auction, and fundraiser to help with the bills that have been incurred  by a foreigner who drove drunk, and severely injured 14 year old Andrea.

The event will take place from 7pm to 10pm.

I'm trying to get a current update on her condition.  The last I read was that she suffers from  paralysis of her arm and leg.  She was not yet communicating.

The driver NOW has an arrest warrant out.  He has not appeared for 3 court hearing regarding this accident.

No one knows if he fled to Canada (his home country) or is still in Cozumel or on the mainland.

This is the information posted by the police, and their comments;

"Warning: We ask for support of the whole town to find this fugitive from justice, any info you know please contact to these numbers 9871038453,9871185912 & with the pgj invite them! Thank you"

10603236_923043504384477_418408510922902

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:44 AM

He should never have been released from police custody when this happened!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:03 PM

Update from the benefit last night.  The online action is still in progress and being managed by Corki Allen.

Karen V was there, and she pretty much summed up the current situation:  "She still has a long way to go.Her mom said they want to do surgery and put a valve in to reduce the fluid the has accumulated and also mesh to protect the area of the skull that was remove to relieve the pressure on the brain. As you can imagine. The cost of the surgery is prohibitive for them. Hoping that somehow it can and will happen"

Corki wanted folks to know the following "she was standing but totally supported by her stepfather....she is completely paralyzed on her right side and cannot speak...but the sparkle is still there..."

11164048_10206750031891861_6159455969357

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:34 AM

Is there a way to buy her health insurance that would cover the surgery?  We could fund raise to pay the monthly cost?

#5 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

She has a pretty big pre-existing condition, so it's quite possible that any privately-purchased insurance would exclude coverage for expenses resulting from her injury. I don't know how private insurance works in Mexico, but that would be a concern in the US.

#6 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:26 AM

He should never have been released from police custody when this happened!

I am still having problems trying to understand this.  If he was driving a rental, I know that the insurance is not going to pay.  I thought that in a case like that  you got to sit in jail until you came up with all of the $$ to pay for the injuries you caused.  That is the way it sounded like it worked for a couple of other cases that we have read about.  I wonder if Cozumel has an extradition agreement with Canada?

Skip (aka: VideoVern)

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#7 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:40 AM

Sounds like his family p[aid enough "bail" or i guess bribe to get him out until his court date and while out he disappeared himself.

#8 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:42 AM

I wonder if Cozumel has an extradition agreement with Canada?

Cities don't make treaties with countries.

Canada has an extradition agreement with Mexico, but it has become something a haven for fugitives who claim they can't get a fair trial in the jurisdiction that's trying to get someone from Canada for trial. That's true even for high-profile fugitives who are of strong interest to Mexico. This jerk who's accused of having injured Andrea is probably low on the list of people Mexico would like to extradite from Canada (if he's even there).

Count me among those who are baffled and angry that he was deemed eligible for pre-trial release given that he seemed like a near-guaranteed flight risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users