• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 luvfish

luvfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:43 AM

I just became a permanent resident. I went into my bank to chnge u.s dollars and was told I can't any longer. The bank was banco azteca. Not sure how i can chnge dollars Now. Can anyone advise me on how to change money??? Please
Thank you
Anet

#2 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:57 AM

Not sure why your bank would cut you off but you could try another bank and just use your passport as ID. Or go to a Casa de Cambio if you must convert dollars.

Use your ATM to get pesos and just spend dollars when the rate is favorable.

#3 luvfish

luvfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:50 AM

Thanks I will try another bank when needed. Doesn't make sense to me but after living here 15+ years lots doesn't make sense and u work around it:-)

#4 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:19 AM

I just deposit dollars I bring from Canada into my Scotiabank account and withdraw pesos as I need them to pay bills etc. Many banks are getting edgy over "money laundering", especially after new laws and the recent international exposure of banks like HSBC. Monex has stopped accepting deposits from individual clients, except for accounts over $25,000 or a corporate citizen.

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

I wire money from my US bank to my Mexican bank and withdraw money in pesos.

If you have a lot of US dollars hanging around, use them at the Mega or the Chedraui which both take dollars and give a pretty fair exchange rate last I heard.

You can also use dollars to pay for most tours and activities.

#6 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:55 PM

We've set up a transfer system from our Citibank account to our Banamex account. We actually don't keep anything in the Citibank account otherwise. It works for us. We don't really deal in cash dollars at all anywhere. We use cash in Mexico, but we get that by withdrawals from the Banamex ATM. As others have said, I can't think of a reason your bank (which is in actuality a scooter manufacturer and electronics retailer with a bank attached to facilitate time payments) won't exchange dollars for you, but you can always take them jto any other bank to exchange.

#7 van2coz

van2coz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:having fun, making friends, enjoying life

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:34 PM

How do people convert their funds to US dollars to pay for rent?  Many landlords want to get paid in US funds.  I am coming from Canada and don't have US$ account - perhaps I need to do that and then transfer US funds to my landlord?  I am not sure of how long term renters do it.....

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:50 PM

It's technically illegal for anyone with a business in Mexico to refuse pesos.  So either pay in advance from Canada into something like a paypal account which will convert Canadian to US dollars or pay them in person in pesos at the going exchange rate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users