• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mimi3

mimi3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:53 PM

We are thinking about moving there, I need to know of a cheap place to stay for 30 days.  Places to live, any other info you think I need to know

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:59 PM

Can't help you on rentals,but there are small efficiency apt around.  

As to your other questions you might have, are you planning of living here year round?  Have you, or will you be applying for temporary or permanent residency?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Melbell

Melbell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:18 AM

My husband and I are also looking to move there, we live in Wisconsin and want to live there during the winter months and come back for summer months to see family, we are looking into a buying a house there in which we will be renting out 2 bedrooms as a "bed and breakfast" is our plan.. We are selling our home and much of our belongings to start a new adventure in life. We are very nervous and would like any information you can give us. We came there for vacation a few years back and fell in love with the community, everyone there is so nice, and it is such a beautiful place. We would also like to find part time jobs there, we don't know Spanish, but clearly must learn. Any links to where we can find job postings in English? I have worked in health care for years as a nursing assistant, my husband has ran his family business of construction but wants to stop doing that work on count of his back issues.

#4 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

It is very hard for foreigners to get work.  i believe you have to find a company that will "sponsor" you.  I would not move there unless I had the income to get by without working.  Then any extra you pick-up could go for extras.

#5 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:26 PM

You'll need to ensure you have an immigration status that enables you to work legally, whether as an employee or for someone else. In order for someone to hire you they have to show that there isn't a Mexican who could do the work and they can only employ a certain percentage of foreigners in any case.

A B&B is a hotel (albeit a tiny one) and in Cozumel (as in many places in the US or elsewhere) you'll need to ensure you have the proper permits to run a hotel (the Bed part) and food service (the Breakfast part), pay the applicable hotel taxes, be registered for income tax, etc. You will need a local attorney and an accountant. I'd start with the attorney.

#6 kerrylea

kerrylea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

We, also, are considering moving to Cozumel.  We have vacationed there quite a few times and just love it.  Right now we are living in Belize and once a month, have to go to immigration to pay a fee.  Is it the same way there?  We aren't wanting to become 'Permanent' or 'Temporary'.  We just want to hang out and see if we like it enough before we would consider going that route.  Thanks for any info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users