Back In Reality

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:32 AM

Had a wonderful 13 nights and fell in love with Cozumel even more.  However, I did realize living there would ruin it for me LOL.

#2 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:40 PM

How so?

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

I read the blog "Women who live on rocks" (https://www.facebook...profile_browser).

Compared to those on other islands, Cozumel has so many more resources available.

The differences between vacation, and living here is like the difference between fantasy,and reality.

It's just like living where you do.  Same responsibilities, cores, repairs, jobs, family, friends.

How I wish it was like when I used to vacation here.  Maid changed the linens everyday. Eating out everyday. swimming, snorkeling, diving everyday.  Meeting up with friends at bar, listening to music every night.  Going on tours here, and on the mainland at will.

Life here is exactly like where you live, with the same responsibilities.   Cozumel is a wonderful place to visit, and to live.  It's just different once you move here.  That's when reality hits, your not on vacation anymore.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:29 AM

I just think the things I think are "fun" on vacation would drive me nuts.  I also realized that as tired as i am of my stressful job I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I wasn't just snorkeling and drinking margaritas all day......  I may try it someday when my husband and I feel a little more settled.  We have 10 years to retirement anyway :)

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:36 PM

It's a chance of life style.  Don't get me wrong, there are benefits, but it's not a vacation.  

Of course it took us about 3 years to get out of the vacation mode,  now it's just home.

I do find it both amusing, and annoying at times when tourist and expats get all twisted up about how Cozumel has changed.  It's not the laid back, fishing village they remember it once was.

Tourist go home after a week or so of eating in restaurants, and don't worry about buying fresh meats and veggies.

Thank goodness for grocery stores!

Good grief how about all the park drama.  Nobody asked anybody about the design and input, so therefore it's something to either live with, or don't go to the park. 

You watch, you listen, you read, and you shrug, and move on.

Guess that's what island life has taught me. 

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 La Bella

La Bella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Travel, reading, jewlery making, swimming

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:50 PM

We just returned home from 3 weeks vac in Cozumel and I can't wait to go back.  We have been vacationing in Coz for the past 20 yrs.  Finally my husband and I are retired and we can enjoy doing NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!

We are returning to Coz in July and staying for 3 months......Maybe people expect too much and

that is why they get disappointed. 

I know what Back In Reality is............................... :(

La Bella

#7 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:08 AM

The differences between vacation, and living here is like the difference between fantasy,and reality.

Even the differences between "pure vacation" and "need to do some work around the vacation house and find a car tire pump" can be pretty stark.

I just think the things I think are "fun" on vacation would drive me nuts

I used to believe that strongly. Now I'm starting to lean the other way and can envision retirement on the island (in the unlikely event I'll be able to retire after having got the house...)

I do find it both amusing, and annoying at times when tourist and expats get all twisted up about how Cozumel has changed. It's not the laid back, fishing village they remember it once was.

When the Mega was first opened, Scubaboard had a big thread about how it was going to absolutely ruin the island. Now some of the very same people are complaining that it'll turn into a Soriana. Not to mention the whole new zócalo thing (hey - I think that's apophasis!).

I believe some vacationers have a need for their vacation spots to be "primitive", which of course would mean a serious lack of resources for local residents. I think they secretly hate to see locals driving around in a Mercedes, since in their heads they should be plodding along on a donkey.

#8 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:13 AM

Changes never go down well.  Especially when you knew a place "back when" LOL.

What kills me are the people who have the 1st trip planned or have made a few week long vacation trips and suddenly post "we are moving to Cozumel with our 4 kids.  Any tips?  Where are the jobs?  Can you recommend a house on the beach for 400 bucks a month" and on and on with totally unrealistic plans.  I bite my tongue!

#9 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:32 AM

Heck, there was even a "we haven't ever been there yet but already know we want to move there - where can I earn enough to have a place on the water?" thread on Facebook.

#10 obispo

obispo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:almost anything

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:08 PM

I've kinda kept track of this thread for a while and feel compelled to add my "two cents".  A very high percentage of the people that say they're going to move to a foreign country never do.  It's a dream, not reality and dreams are always better than reality.  Dreams can be perfect, reality is not.  Within the small percentage that do move, some will fail and move back, others will, after a honeymoon period, settle down to reality.  Most people will not learn much from other's experiences.  They have to experience it themselves.  I say, let them.  Besides, their experiences won't ever be exactly the same as your's, due to, if nothing else, their perceptions.

obispo

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:27 PM

Very true Obispo.  Heck it took me 3 years to realize I wasn't on an extended vacation.  It was GREAT!

But then it just is like anyplace where one lives in the world.

You can make it great, you can make it good, you can make it a trap, or you can just give up, and leave.

Anonymous

#12 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:27 PM

We adore Cozumel. But I would never move there permanently. We like where we're at, even though we get plenty of snow, rain, and bugs.

It's exciting to go on vacation!

#13 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:12 AM

OBISPO's comment got me to thinking. I'm no shrink, but Fantasy Island is necessary for a lot of folks just to cope with the life they lead elsewhere. I know. I was one of them. Two weeks in Paradise and i'm ready to sign on to any time share proposal put in front of me. Okay it happened once, shame on you (sobered up and used the Mexican law about "five days to change your mind" and got out of it); but went back and got caught again (this time:shame on me). Now I live here a good chunk of the year (when it's minus thirty norte de Rio Grande), and it's not what I imagined! It's BETTER, and it's mainly because of the people here. Yes, there's frustration, but the people are more laid back and take challenges in stride. Underneath the glitz (and the booze) provided for the three millon necessary turistas, I am discovering enormously-important basic human values that get lost in the speeded up rat race of Metropolis. Life in Cozumel is like a big mirror placed in front of us, like the mirror in Don Quixote that separates fiction from reality and what is really important in life. Thanks Obispo, that was my rant for the month. I feel better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users