44 replies to this topic

#1 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:42 AM

We came to visit last weekend on business and were somewhat stressed out is the only reason I can think of that something like this will work,but it did. The rental car agent informed me to watch the guy filling up my rental car to be sure that it was on zero when they started to fill it up,I did and was curious about the second guy who came up and stood by the pump. When the first guy told me to look to see if it was full the second guy hits a switch just inside the pump that doubles the price. I gotta tell you that 300 pesos should have registered as a large amount for one third tank , But being exactly what I appeared to be it did not. It is fun to play the game and I suspect most people this will not happen too,This is just an FYI and I mean no offense to anybody.

#2 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:42 AM

When I got gas yesterday, a fellow in a "service" uniform stood between me and the pump and asked if he could check under my hood, the oil, etc. I never even thought to double-check. Buyer beware!
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for the reports. So I guess now, in addition to the advice to get OUT of your car and THEN tell the guy how much gas you want, we'll have to add walking over to the pump itself and standing right in front of it before telling him how many pesos you want put in and being sure it is zeroed out. Apparently we're just going to have to stand in front of the pump and stare at the meter the entire time. And Ima gonna do it!

I always tip the filler guys, too. Usually 5 pesos. Nobody in the states thinks to do that but it's really appreciated down here. Needless to say, no tip if you think you're being stiffed. But if you stand right there and watch, I don't see how that can happen.

In my case, the tank on my old 93 Taurus wagon (beater) that I drive here is on the passenger side. Before I would turn off the engine, get out and stand up on the driver's side and tell him how many pesos I wanted and watch him zero it. Then I would unlock my gas tank with the inside button and watch while he filled it.

Now I'm going to come around to the other side of the car and stand right in front of the 'chine, staring at it intently the whole time. Some of you might feel stupid doing this. But, in truth, the Mexican workers will respect you for it. They won't like it if they were planning to try and cheat you. But they'll respect you, nonetheless.

#4 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel, animals, reading,travel and friends

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:03 PM

We have been coming to the island every year for the last fifteen years, I can't remember a year that the attendants have not tried to scam us. We always make sure the pump is at zero and stand out there with them. Last year one guy stopped the pump after pumping 200 pesos and said he had to reset the pump. He continued to fill the tank and when I went to pay him he tried to tell me the pump was reset at 400 pesos. I had been standing right in front of him and the pump the whole time. I told him I was not stupid and saw what the pump read before he reset it and gave him what I knew I owed him. He didn't try argue with me and as I was leaving I said shame on you and your dishonesty has cost you a nice tip. You should have seen the look on his face.

#5 Leo - spearfishing

Leo - spearfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

Well... they have found a new trick... a successful trick.
You see the number of liters increasing, but this guy is not putting any gas into your car at all.
Basically you are getting air, if you know what I mean...
Or some fuel and a lot of air.
But it all looks like you are actually getting fuel...
We ´bought´it this Sunday.
And one of our guests experienced the same trick this Monday (they blamed it on the old instruments in the car....).
I went back, took a picture of the guy first ("smile") and then politely asked back my money. Which he did without any hesitation, being too afraid he was gonna be famous in a day.... So watch out...
spearfishingtoday.com
"spear to live and live to spear"

#6 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:55 PM

This is beyond pathetic. In addition to having to run the gauntlet of timeshare twerps at the airport, how are folks to know how to pay for their gas? If the gas guys are scamming the locals, what are they doing to less frequent visitors? Is there an honest gas station on the island so we can boycott the creeps? Or is this true of all three of them? I usually get out of the car (my husband behind the wheel) and stare at the pump so luckily we haven't been scammed yet that we know of, but what else can we do? This is appalling!

#7 austinacoustic

austinacoustic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

Ya, it happened to me in Sept. I didn't use the car much and I just wanted over half full.
So I was looking at the gas guage while he was pumping the gas. I didn't put more than twenty miles on the car and he charged me about twenty dollars.... To add insult to injury, the guy at Alamo said the car didn't have as much fuel as it had when I took it, and asked for five dollars more!!!! Well there was no way for him to know the exact amount I started out with... We are talking a very small amount. So I refused to pay the extra five bucks and it was charged to my credit card.. It's tough when your in vacation mode to have to watch out for scams and thiefs when the amount is so trivial...
Same kind of thing happened at Mozaicoz. I enjoyed going there after a dive and having a couple beer, great place to people watch on the square... Paco, (that was his name) shorted my change and then just stood there with the look of oh, please don't call me on this, so I just didn't tip. He would of made more from the tip :angry:

#8 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:53 PM

in over 10 years i have NEVER been scammed. the gauge starts at zero, and my gas gauge reflects the amount i put in. some cars you can turn the switch just enough to activate the gas gauge and see it go up as the liters go up. i am surprized to hear this happening to so many. but i have never been scammed.
you can also ask for a certain number of liters instead of a peso amount to pump. so if you drive and use a half a tank, in say a VW bug rental, you can assume about 14 or 15 liters.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

I haven't to my knowledge been cheated either. But I am wondering about Leo's report.

Leo -- how do you know this is happening? And what can be done to stop them from doing it? Sounds like nothing unless you have some method of figuring out how many actual (non-air) liters have been added to your tank

Also are you noticing this at a particular station?

For those who don't know, there is only one gas station company in Mexico, Pemex. There are three stations on the island. One south of downtown around the cruiseship piers. One downtown on the Avenida 30 con Juarez and a third out near the edge of town near the start of the cross island road, the Transversal as it is called.

#10 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:36 AM

I too have never been scammed at a Pemex station in Mexico, but I was always buying a set amount. I have even used an old fashioned station, hand pumped in a remote area far from electricity. The nature of the job and minimal salary leads to abusive practices. Attendants are expected to receive the bulk of their compensation from tips and handle a large amount of money and responsibility. It tends to attract people that have expectations of being able to "work it effectively" to achieve a fair or excessive amount of compensation. The entire Pemex operation has worked for decades as being a cash cow....they pump it from the ground and all along the pipeline are leaks of revenue.

The local franchise owner is Nacho Joaquin.

#11 Leo - spearfishing

Leo - spearfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:04 AM

Gas station in town.

I knew because the tank of the small car I used was half full when I went to the gas station. 37 liters went in. I drove 220km. The car can have maximum 40 liters....

Then my client this week used half the tank of his rental car. He put in gas (100% air), they told him his gauge was not ok "old car amigo" brought back his rental car and got a discussion there that he did not buy gas. So he went back with the owner, and filled up half the tank. So he knew he did not get ANY gas.

Yesterday we were talking with local friends. Last week they had to pay a lot at the same gas station. They just paid and went away. Now we were discussing this subject... They paid more than 800 pesos. And just now realized that is more than 100 liters. While their car can only handle 60 liters....

I would say look at your gauge and calculate how much fuel you need approximately, so you know that is right and then check your gauge whether you really bought the fuel...
spearfishingtoday.com

#12 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:01 AM

why dont we send all these complaints to the owner of the franchise of course we need an address to do this but keep flooding him with post ... we get out of the truck and give the attendent the exact amount we want and watch the dial its another problem that may stop people returning to the island no one likes to be scammed...and there are plenty of other places in the world to visit ..

#13 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:43 AM

Two questions:

So how do they make the liters gauge continue show it pumping yet no gas gets into the car?

What sort of lever would be on a gas pump that would double the amount you owed....or is this a play on the "type in the amount you want" vs. how much has actually been pumped?

Their typical mode of operation is to act “confused” as if the tank is full and ask you to go around and check the gas gauge. Since the pumps are LED screen models, they then enter a prepaid amount such as 200, 300, 400, 500 pesos which will show up on the screen as the amount to pump plus (or minus) whatever they have pumped. The attendant then says "look here is the amount”. But the liter amount is at “0.00” because it is pre-set for another fill. (Alternatively, the amount of pesos he entered minus what he has pumped after he changed the meter. i.e. 375 pesos left to pump from 400 pesos entered and you only got 5 liters.)

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#14 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:18 AM

This is hoiting mah tiny brain! Think I'll be using my bike a lot more than usual again even though it means doing all my errands before 10 AM or after 6.

Which gas station are we talking about? I usually get gas at the one on the Transversal at around 75. Last time was 6 weeks ago and I didn't notice a problem then.

So that's the other question -- #1. Which gas station did this happen to you and your friend, Leo? #2. Is this something fairly new? Sounds like it?

#15 Leo - spearfishing

Leo - spearfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

The gas station in town.

How they do it?? I don´t know... I am just a fisherman.... I know when they hold the handle it looks like they are putting gas in. You see the gauge moving, liter another liter etc.

I talked with Margarita from Isis about it and she knew this new trick. They do not squeeze the handle completely. The gauge keeps running, the fuel not.
spearfishingtoday.com

#16 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:51 PM

mslf .......I am with you.... I will add, I am a Retired Electrician and I bet you can all guess what I have built a few of ...
Rotary Mechanical Meter or Digital meter it wont "pump air"... its the design of the pump.. If some insist it will then please explain how it does it.... how it changes from fluid to air and while your at it explain away the static charge as well. BOOM!
#2 But just for fun lets say it did ..for who's purpose/benefit would that be for except Pemex? If the running meter shows 1,000 liters sold for the shift, there better be enough cash to cover what that pump says it pumped. There are two meters people. One for the customer which you re-set after each purchase and the running meter, which is for the company to keep tabs on its sales thats a major deal to re-set / tamper with and for good reason.
They are...... very possibly doing something..... but they are not TTBOMK pumping air..

as for""They do not squeeze the handle completely. The gauge keeps running, the fuel not.""
What do you think is driving the dial the meter ? The flow of liquid drives the meter the meter is passive..
BTW often there are two pumps to make this all work they work because of disparity of ambient pressure. It can be but is seldom a submersible primary pump.

#17 austinacoustic

austinacoustic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:58 PM

It happened to me south of town, all I needed was less that a quarter tank to get the level to where it was when I picked the car up. Any way you look at it, less than a quarter tank of fuel shouldn't be twenty bucks.... :rolleyes:

#18 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:59 PM

I think you've solved it, Mister Leo Fisherman. There's a mechanical glitch the hombres have discovered that let's them partially depress the lever so that the meter runs but no gas is going in. And it's happening at the station on Juarez con 30 across from the St. Francis D'Assis and Blockbuster, right?

Anyone noticed this problem at the other two stations?

Sounds like one has to wrest the pump away from attendant and do a self fill. A woman could prolly get away with that but a guy, I'm thinking that approach could get real ugly real fast.

#19 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

Carey what are you saying? Mechanical glitch?? Its a flow driven meter ... How do you think you could drive the meter without flow????

#20 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

I 'm just saying that, as Leo proposes, there may be some kind of electronic glitch in the switch on the flow button. So the meter doesn't actually kick in but the numbers still roll along. Might take a very careful touch to get this effect. Could be intentional but just as likely a malfunction that the attendants noticed and are taking full advantage of.

You have a better explanation? I ain't heard one as yet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users