• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 texnovaman

texnovaman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:11 PM

we will be in cozumel on July the 18-24 and want to get a tattoo on my last day there were is the best place to get one .i have been there before but i will need specific directions please thanks so much TEX

#2 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:40 AM

I was always told "DON'T GET A TATTOO IN MEXICO". I have tats. One year my wife insisted I get a tattoo for my birthday while in Cozumel. Not only is it the worst tat I have but I was one day away from going to the emergency room after being home a week. It looked like a plug that had raised out of my leg 1/4". I'm not saying all tattoo shops in Mexico are bad. I am saying why not just get one at home where they are regulated. Why take the chance?

Dono

It's those changes in latitudes!

#3 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:06 AM

Offir is an excellent tattoo artist. He has done all 10 of my tattoos and they are wonderful. His practices are sanitary. Neither I nor any of my friends/family have ever had a problem. Further, we have all been ecstatic with the results and get constant compliments.

Offir is located on Av. 10 between Salas and 1 (closest to the corner of Salas). He is in a 2-story, turquoise building that says "TATUAJE" down the side of it. Kelley' Bar is across the street slightly farther north from Offir (pronounced Oh-fear). His email address is offirstattoos@hotmail.com. It is best to email ahead of time and, if possible, provide a photo or sketch of what you want in an attachment. He will make an appointment with you. OH, and he does speak English!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#4 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:22 PM

Both my husband and a very good friend have had tattoos by Offir.  They both speak very highly of him.  He worked with both of them to design their tattoos to their specifications.  Neither have had any problems.  Both are very happy with his work and recommend him without reservation.

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:26 PM

I am pretty sure alot of states and PA definitely do not regulate tattoo parlors.  (except tatting kids without parental consent.)

Also, be careful as ESL people don't spell so great in English, I hear.

I wanted to get me and the nephews giant henna tattoos, like the British Ensign on our backs or something.  Then I read about horrendous infections from many places using hair dye.  Took all the fun out of it.  Maybe I will get my hair beaded?

I had to settle for stick on tattoos for our awarding winning marlin fishing team.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#6 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:05 PM

Maybe I will get my hair beaded?

Hair?

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:57 AM

Hair?

It isn't like I said hairs.....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#8 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:56 AM

I'd be cautious of the henna "tattoos." Years ago, before conquering my fear of tattoo needles, I got a henna tat on the plaza every time I came to the island. Never had a problem until one visit when I got a sun with the yin yang symbol just above my right ankle. That was in 2002. I had a horrible reaction to the henna. It was like a burn and took forever to heal. I now have a permanent scar there and you can tell it is a yin yang symbol and still see the rays of the sun. It's like a brown tattoo.

Just thought I'd share to save someone the discomfort. It hurt far worse that any real tat I've ever gotten!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#9 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:00 PM

There has never been real henna used in the "henna tattoos" in the square. All of the black colored "henna" are concentrated black hair dye. Years back, I did my best to find a non-toxic dye suitable for the temporary tattoos. I got assorted real henna labeled black, but none brought satisfactory results. If it is black in color, I can guarantee it is very concentrated hair dye. Many people have no problems with them most of the time, however some people will react with horrible, disfiguring results.

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:38 PM

Exactly.  Didn't sound like fun at all, so I passed. 

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#11 threadlady

threadlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:22 PM

Ofir is the best tattoo artist on the island!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users