• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:12 AM

We're arriving on Thursday with 2 Verizon smart phones. We plan to keep them in airplane mode most of the time but if we turn them active what kind of roaming charges  can we expect ?

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:08 AM

Depends on what your phone does. A few voice calls or texts won't be too bad. What usually causes problems is data. If your phone starts downloading weather, game updates, and all the other sorts of things that many people's smartphones do in the background all the time, you can end up with a startlingly large bill due to the data roaming charges. One way around this is to install Droidwall, which will allow you to set which applications are allowed to access cellular data.

The actual official roaming costs are readily available on the Verizon website. It shows USD$0.99 per minute for voice, USD$0.50 for text messages, and USD$2.05/Mb for data. They supposedly have some some add-on plans that will reduce the cost, but nobody I know has ever succeeded in getting one of those plans to work.

#3 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:48 AM

Mark, didn't Big Dave say he had the Verizon MX roaming and it worked? 

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:53 PM

Mark, didn't Big Dave say he had the Verizon MX roaming and it worked? 

I think he said it worked fine for him, but DandyDon sure was cranky about his experience...

My brother and nephew each signed up for Verizon's Mexico roaming package but their phones didn't work at all on the island. Then when they got back to the states my brother learned that (according to the person at the Verizon store) merely signing up for the package was "evidence of fraud" so their phones were going to be disabled until he stood in line and got it straightened out.

My personal view is that unless one needs a US number to be reachable on the island, one is better off using a phone with a Telcel SIM if possible.

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:08 AM

Oh I agree, telcel is easy.  And with Whatapp and similar stuff, communication is no problem.

And I think DD's cell was old enough to still have a crank on the side of it....  :)

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#6 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:02 AM

I HIGHLY recommend just turning off Data Roaming. You can keep Roaming turned on for Voice and turn it off for Data. If you don't do this, and your smart phone, like my iPhone, continues to search for email updates, Facebook updates, twitter feeds, map locations, etc., in the background without your intervention, you may be in for a very unpleasant surprise when your next bill arrives. I have Verizon, and I have signed up for the Mexico plan for just one month each of the last 3 Decembers, and for July 2012 when I went to Coz for a week. It worked great in July and December 2012, and again in December 2013. But when I got to Coz in December 2014, nothing worked for like 3 days - same Phone, same Plan, same settings on my phone, but no service. I went back and forth with Verizon, and finally got it working after 4 days of trying. Verizon never could explain what the problem was.

Don't know what kind of phone you have, but on my iPhone, to turn data roaming off, go to Settings - Cellular - Roaming. You should have separate options for Voice and Data - turn (leave) Voice Roaming ON, turn Data Roaming OFF. I now just leave Data Roaming OFF all the time, unless I'm traveling and really want something, then I turn it on only for the time that I'm actively using it.

#7 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:30 PM

Any good Wi-Fi hotspots on Coz so we can just post stuff on facebook without getting gouged?

#8 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:30 PM

Like every single restaurant in town has wifi.

Well maybe not EVERY one...

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#9 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:52 PM

Good to know. Its been a few years since we've been down. Heck the restaurant I work at has only had WiFi for about 3 years now.

#10 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:37 AM

If I recall correctly, both Starbucks (not even sure that Starbucks is still open - I heard rumors that it had closed) and Las Palmeras, right across from the Ferry Pier, have WiFi. I remember sitting and having breakfast at Las Palmeras (a really touristy place, I know, but a pretty good breakfast, and good people watching) reading my Dallas Morning News and checking emails on my iPad, so I'm pretty certain it has WiFi. Pretty sure that Rock 'N Java also has WiFi. You probably won't find WiFi at the small locally owned restaurants back in town, but you might at many of the more tourist-directed restaurants. Most (all?) of the main Hotels have WiFi in the Lobby, though they will require a password to log on; if you stay at any of those - Casa Del Mar, Hotel Cozumel, Casa Mexicana, El Cid, Park Royal, pretty much any of the Southern Resorts - you'll have WiFi at the very least in the Lobby, if not in your room.

#11 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:30 AM

I turn off my ATT data and roaming the moment I get on the plane and switch to Wi-Fi.  What that doesn't do for me is stop text messages from showing up-even though I have roaming turned off.  So I tell all my friends to stop texting me.  Easy for me as I don't text much, but my wife does a lot.  I forward all my calls on my phone to my Magic Jack number when in Cozumel and it rings my phone as if it were a local US call but just over Wi-Fi. If I miss the call, MJ sends me an email with the recorded message attached I can download anywhere over Wi-Fi

I also use WhatsApp and FB Messenger when on the island.  My current phone has been to most of the bars and restaurants downtown and I have entered their information so if I am in town, I can pick up messages as I walk by or stop there.

There was supposed to be free Wi-Fi along the malecon some time ago and I see something pop up on my phone from time to time, but I can never get connected to it.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#12 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:14 AM

You would be surprised how many have wifi.  Even El Fish the cantina has wifi.  I think there is a still a wifi around the plaza.  I just never use it.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#13 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:55 PM

WiFi only, Data Roaming off. Wet Wendy's, Woody's, Thirsty Couger etc... buy a beer, get the WiFi code and your in. I have the Skype app on my phone and call home via that.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#14 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:35 AM

Been here in Coz since last Thurs WiFi generally sucks except at Earnestos and now at RockNJava especially at El Cid where we're staying.

#15 kansas diver

kansas diver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Diving, skiing, travel

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:41 PM

I thought mine was set for the resort wifi only....oops...was cheaper to bring my daughters boyfriend, now husband, the next trip!!  He DID decide he had better learn scuba and get certified!!  LOL

#16 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:29 AM

Brought the 15 year old niece.  When she looks up from device, she states wifi is good at EVERY restaurant we have been at.  I cant get a beer before she gets the Wifi.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#17 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:52 PM

Found the WiFi at the beach clubs and resorts were bad while those at the restaurants were good even the hole in wall places at the Mercado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users