• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smack

smack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

We're back! Our 3rd trip to Cozumel. Coming in the end of July. My daughters want to do an excursion where you snorkel with sea turtles. From what I've found, Cozumel doesn't have this, and you actually have to go to Playa Del Carmen to do this. Does anyone have any good advice or used a specific tour company to book this trip? It looks like Akumal beach resort might be the only place to do this. Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated

#2 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:43 AM

Although the marine park abounds with turtles, especially Green Turtles, there is no way to guarantee seeing any turtles at any particular reef. The bay in Akumal is full of turtles and most people who snorkel there, to view them, are usually successful in finding them. Stay inside the bay. Do not go out into the open water. The area outside the bay can be full of Bull sharks.

Cozumel Diving

#3 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:07 AM

For whatever reason, over 95% of my photos of turtles from dives within the Marine Park are of Hawksbill Sea Turtles. I do have a few Green Sea Turtles, but maybe I repel them or something.

My family like to go to Akumal when they want to snorkel rather than scuba with sea turtles. I haven't been, but they really like it. I've only seen a turtle, and that from a distance, a couple of times while snorkeling in Cozumel.

#4 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:14 AM

Go to Akumal.  However, they bring hordes of day tripper snorkel tours so it is not that fun any longer.

#5 smack

smack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:09 AM

thanks everybody

#6 kansas diver

kansas diver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Diving, skiing, travel

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:48 PM

Learn to dive. I always see at least one turtle every dive and that is just the beginning!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users