• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lanecoe68

lanecoe68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:50 AM

My wife and I are looking to move to a place near/on the beach somewhere soon.  I am 47, she is 38, and we do not have kids.

we are coming to Cozumel the week of July 17th to check things out and would like to talk to people who have moved her from the US.  we have questions about how life is on the island, and such.

so, anyone who would like to meet for drinks sometime in the afternoon please let me know.  

thanks,

Lane & Ingrid Coe

Austin TX

Attached Files

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:42 PM

You might get some takers.  If not, feel free to ask questions on this forum.  Preferably start different topics with different subject headlines for each major type of questions you have.  For example, Job prospects might be one, cost of living another. etc.

I will tell you right now, job prospects for gringos are very very low.  You can bring your own money and try and start a business but I wouldn't try that until you've been here a year or more and see a nitch you might be able to fill.  Otherwise you can get a low paying, very long hours job selling time shares or possibly job as a receptionist or 'animator' at one of the resorts because of your perfect English skills.  All tech and medical jobs are off limits to you as a foreigner.  You can't even wait tables unless an employer agrees to go through the special paperwork for this and why should they when they can much more easily hire Mexicans to do the same job.

There are a few teaching jobs but the pay is shockingly low.

I bring all this up because you mention your ages so I'm assuming that, unless you are independently wealthy, that you are hoping to include some kind of income-producing activity in your possible plan to move here.

#3 lanecoe68

lanecoe68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for replying... I really do appreciate it!

I make my money online so we are not looking for jobs.  We probably would like to buy a hotel or resort in the future.

Mostly I am just interested in talking to people about the life, the pros and cons, and get a feel if this is somewhere we want to build a new life at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users