• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 patimay

patimay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:45 PM

I am interested in buying a Solar water heater from Nipliio, and would appreciate any information anyone can give me.

#2 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:59 PM

oooo. didn't know they had those.... i would be interested too! gonna check that out tomorrow. you got my curiosity going.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#3 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

That makes 3 of us..now if only I could run my stove on it too..lol

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

Not sure what they have here, but I hope somebody investigates it.

I looked up what is available in the states on Solar Hot water heaters, and found the following site.

http://www.energysav...m/mytopic=12850

The lowest end product I could find was $599 usd's going up to about $7,500 USD's.

I know if you camp, you can purchase a little solar panel to heat your water...

We have a cottage that is run strictly off the grid. We have a complete Solar system (jerry-rigged, but works) and it is VERY expensive for the investment. It's not only the panels, but it also the batteries you need to store the collected power.

slow cycle marine batteries are really expensive, and need to be replaced every few years.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:53 PM

Paula,

Do you guys use a 20 battery system? Just curious. I work for an electrical contractor here in the states and we have recently entered the PV side of this business. I just finished installing a 7.2KW (no battery) system in a home in Dallas. Lots of sun here, so it should make lots of power.

Sam

#6 patimay

patimay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:05 PM

Many thanks for the information.
Casa Lopez on 30th also sell these solar water heaters, and the owner has one installed on his roof next door. I was told it was installed 6 months ago and works well, but then they are selling the units.

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:36 AM

I was informed by my husband that I got the Solar Water heater concept WRONG as to what they are doing here.

Okay, what he was is that this is a very simple design, and that you can do it yourself.

It is called a heat exchange system.

You lay pipes (PVC)on your roof, paint them black, then cover with sand, or stone. You use a pump to circulate the water through the pipes, and you have hot water...

Willie, what Greg told me is that we have an "electrical" system at our cottage in Yosemite,Ca and use 6 golf cart batteries to store the extra energy that the solar panels, and windmills produce.

Sorry about my LACK of knowledge in regards to the passive system.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:27 AM

There are several different types of solar water heaters available on the commercial market. For Coz's environment, a passive solar system that uses natural thermal siphon/convection of water and maybe a 50 gallon water storage unit that fed an instantaneous water heater would be the best type.

Plate type water heaters and bread box heaters work the best, but a black pipe system on the roof would be the next best thing and a lot cheaper. I'm not sure what covering the system with sand does other than block the sun.

Another simple option would be to buy on of the black water storage units in maybe a 30-40 gallon size and put it on your roof to preheat your water heater's water. During the summer, you might find you could turn off the water heater or put it on a timer. Sizing is important and should be based on your lifestyle and family size. i.e.: Back in the states, our gas fired water heater only comes on two hours a day in the AM for showers. The 50 gallon, well insulated tank stores enough water for 24 hours of our needs

For the DIY'er, this is a good primer on the styles.

http://www.motherear...ter.aspx?page=3

For all you McGyver's out there, this is a pretty creative DIY site.:

http://www.builditso...tm#Thermosyphon

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#9 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:21 PM

i went to niplito today and asked about the heater they have. it is by special order and takes about 2 weeks to arrive.
the tank is 150 liters (approx 37.5 gallons), goof for 3 to 4 people in the household. uses no batteries, no gas, no electricity. it works using the radiator idea....once emptied, takes about 10 minutes to fill and heat back up. the wonderful thing, especially if there are ever kids in your home, is that the hot water never gets to scalding temperature. i always have to put my boiler on a low setting for this reason.
easy to install, lasts about 30 years, and comes with a 5 year guaranty. cost is $5660. brand name is VEC, same as the industrial fans in abundant existence here.
i am seriously considering this for our home. the gas savings alone for a 2 bath place should pay for itself within 10 years and then you still have 20 years of life to the thing.
while i couldn't find the vec webiste for the product, this is the idea. not to mention a very positive impact environmentally. it can nicely reduce your carbon footprint. with all the cr*p going on in the gulf, reducing the use of petro and gases is always a good thing.
http://www.procobre....e-Viviendas.pdf
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#10 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:57 PM

Nautica, This is a newer item in their line, VEC had a rep. and a static display at the EXPO in Cancun this pasted weekend, I was impressed with the info pvovided. I have had 2 VEC fans running daily for over 15 years. I have a Spec sheet that you can copy, just let me know when you will be in your shop.

T.

V.E.C. de México S.A. de C.V.: http://www.vec.com.mx/

Calentador solar marca VEC Modelo: CS-150L/39+Gal.
Calentador solar marca VEC Modelo: CS-200L/52+Gal.
Calentador solar marca VEC Modelo: CS-250L/66+Gal.

#11 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:56 PM

that's the one. the 5660 peso price was for the 150liters.
i am leaning more and more to get this once my tinaco has been moved to my new roof and all plumbing has been installed. i love the idea. whenever there is a norte, my boiler pilot goes out and i find out after i am ready to shower. then i have to go out, relight the pilot, wait another 20 minutes, bla bla bla. not fun at night.
so this new deal i really love. the niplito guy said it was a very cool new product. am i reading it right that it is to be used with NON-pressurized systems? that i see as the only downfall for those who paid for the pressure pump in their house and can not take advantage of this system. with my tinaco over 8 meters high, i think my pressure will be decent enough.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#12 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

Use a large exit line from your tinaco 3/4" or 1" on vents and vertical drops and 3/4" on the horizontal runs as far as you can this will increase your flow, the larger copper will cost you a little more, but it will reduce the need for a pressure system. we operate a automatic washer, full load and full cycle, takes 45 minutes without pressure system. Washer is 18 feet below and 45 feet horizional from my tinaco. I run a 5 micron filter before water enters my tinaco this will reduce some of the crud that builds up over time in your lines.

Don Pech had a similar product at his wood shop on 65 at 17, and I think Casa Lopez had them at one time, The Home Depot in Cancun has them. Costco had/has both small wind and solar electrical systems.

T.

#13 patimay

patimay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:09 PM

I really think that I would like to install one on my roof, but just wonder about hurricanes.
I don't want to buy one and the have it blown off the roof and smashed. Any thoughts on this?
Wonder if it comes apart so that it can be taken down once it is up, and are the tubes glass? or what are they made of?

#14 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:44 AM

I can't stand trying to bath in cold water, water less than hot. During the summer months, I have needed to near empty the roof top tinaco and pump cooler water from the cistern in order for it to be cool enough to take a shower. If I have to pump water from a cistern in order to cool down the water, needing a water heater is a seasonal thing. The black tinaco tanks or even one made of cement may be all that is needed in the summer time.

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

I am not understanding the value add of this product over traditional hot water heaters.

What is the cost of this system compared to traditional systems?

What materials are used, compared to traditional systems?

Anonymous

#16 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:29 PM

a small boiler runs about $1300 pesos. count on about 500 pesos a year (if not more) on gas to heat up your water for a family of 3 to 4. in less than 10 years this solar model has paid for itself and has 20 more years of working. so in the long run, we are talking about 1/3 the cost.
also, no need to replace gas tanks, run outside to relight the pilot, and be surprized at 11pm at night during a cold norte when your shower water is cold.
i am sure that the installation is with simple screws onto the roof. any albanil can suggest a way to protect it during a hurricane. removing it might just be the best option.
traveller, my tinaco tank has the pipe pressure system, starting at 1", then to 3/4", then to 1/2" to naturally increase pressure. i use the tuboplus system which is thermal and helps keep the water from getting too hot when it SHOULD be cold.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users