Jump to content


Want To Try It Out For 6 Months

Rent moving US citizens

  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AyaK



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:44 PM

Ok so just got back from Cozumel. I want to try to move there for about six months to a year. Are there any three or four bedroom apartments or houses for rent at an affordable price? And how do I go about applying for temporary residency? I am a US citizen living in Virginia at the moment.
  • 0

#2 marlinfishing



  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Plano, TX
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:05 PM

Hi, read the (3) "Pinned" posts previous to your post.  Mark spent a lot of time explaining exactly what you need to do.  If you have questions after that, ask away and someone will be happy to help you.  Good luck w/your move!



  • 0

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#3 Charles



  • Members
  • 3,143 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:22 AM

Why do you want to apply for temporary residency? If you come as a tourist you are given a visa for 180 days. For a new 180 day visa, leave the country and then return. There has never been a time limit that you must be outside the country to receive a new visa. There might be advantages and disadvantages for each immigration status. A tourist visa beats all in simplicity and economy.

Do you have sufficient resources and/or income to live comfortable? Did you need or expect to work and generate income from Mexican sources?

Why do you want to live in Cozumel? What are your expectations and desires?

What do you consider an affordable rent for a 3-4 bedroom place? What monthly overhead are you hoping to find?
  • 0

#4 Carey



  • Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Cozumel Island
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:31 AM

Good place to check for long term rentals is with the various real estate companies on the island.  They quite often will have places they're offering for sale which the owners wish to rent out while they're waiting for a buyer for example.  And not a lot of worry about being inconvenienced by prospective buyers right now as the real estate market is pretty depressed.

  • 0

#5 mstevens



  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Hampshire and Cozumel
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:07 AM

Are there any three or four bedroom apartments or houses for rent at an affordable price?


And how do I go about applying for temporary residency?


There are places for rent at affordable prices, for certain values of "affordable". Four bedrooms is relatively big for Cozumel. Keep in mind that electric bills for air conditioning can end up being huge by US standards, and the more space you cool the larger your bill will be. You will probably want to start by contacting a real estate agent (all the ones I know handle rentals), but keep in mind that many good places never get listed.


As Charles said, it's worth thinking about whether you need legal residency at all. The primary reason for temporary residency would be if you really don't plan to leave Mexico at all for 180 days or if you plan to work (but that a whole other kettle of fish).


Basically, for temporary residency you'll need to prove you can support yourself independently (or already have work lined up - very unlikely) and provide an address in Mexico. For the "non-lucrative" option, you'll need to show an average bank balance over the previous 12 months of MXN$350,500 or monthly retirement income of MXN$21,030. Some consulates are sticklers that the income must be "true" retirement income, others will accept a salary from some source that will continue while you're in Mexico. Different consulates have different requirements, so check with a consular officer at the consulate you plan to use before you go too far down this path.


You must start at a consulate in your home country (or, according to rumor, Belize if you're a US citizen), so unless you're really willing to line up a home sight unseen, you'd most likely need to make a trip to Mexico first to find a home. That, or have a friend who's willing to let you use their address as your legal address in Mexico.

  • 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rent, moving, US citizens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users