10 replies to this topic

#1 La Bella

La Bella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Travel, reading, jewlery making, swimming

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:33 AM

OMG!!!!! I had no idea how much planning it would take to live outside of the US for a few months.....

We will be leaving this week-end for 4 moths in Cozumel and it has been a real challenge.......

Is it me.......?

But it's all worth it................

La Bella :o

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:35 AM

Good luck with your new adventure!  And when you have time, I know many readers -- including me -- would enjoy hearing about your experiences with the planning and execution of your move as well as your experiences once you settle in.

You've picked a good time to experience Cozumel's weather at its best as well as its worst.  October in particular is my personal least favorite month because of the mugginess especially.  But once that first 'norte' -- called a cold front in the US -- arrives, the heat and humidity break and you have the most gorgeous weather the world can provide, in my opinion.  In the past five or so years the nortes have been arriving earlier than they used to -- early to mid November.  And then in comes lovely temperate weather with balmy skies and softer sunshine.

Spanning the season of 'septhambre y octhambre', locally so called because business is at its slowest and a lot of people have hambre -- hunger -- and then moving into high season is the great way to get a realistic idea of long term living here.

You are renting a house in town?

#3 La Bella

La Bella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:41 PM

No, we have a condo on the beach that we are renting for a year. We were in Coz in May for 3 weeks now we are going for 4 months. We come back to the states for 3 weeks and back to Coz.
Love to meet you sometime.........
My email address: cozumel9@bellsouth.net
Thanks
LaBella

#4 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:52 AM

I, too, would love to hear of your adventures while you are here. Which condo complex are you renting in? I agree that this 4 months is the perfect way to gauge weather conditions in Cozumel. Bring some mosquito repellant with Deet in it! Nothing here keeps them away and they are fierce this year. Part of tropical life ;)

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#5 La Bella

La Bella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:19 AM

Thanks f the advice.
We rented a condo at Las Brisas on the North side of the island.
since we are keeping our house, etc.. Here in the states it becomes a bit difficult to live in 2 places. But i think the worst part of our planning it's done.
Will let you know how we manage in Coz.
Thanks to all of you for all the great advice. It has really helped us.
La Bella

#6 La Bella

La Bella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:48 PM

Well, we have been here for 9 days and all is good.....Went to Mega and bought some groceries.  Got 2 cells phones activated at Telcel.  Love the remodeled park.

We also went to Banamex to ask what are the requirements to open  a bank account.  I had read on their web site that you needed a resident status, but just wanted to

make sure rules had not changed.  Our next step is to apply for a either temporary or permanent residency.  Every morning we go for a walk then the beach.....So far

Living in paradise has turned out good......will keep you posted.

La Bella

#7 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:41 AM

The process for filing for residency begins in the US, not here in Cozumel. At least that's the case for Residente Permanente; not sure about Temporal. You may want to do all of that before you return the next time. I would recommend contacting a local attorney to help you with that process. It's not necessary to do that, but it sure is helpful to have someone who can walk you through it all!

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#8 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:18 AM

Love Las Brisas.  Please let us know the good, the bad, and the mystifying......

#9 La Bella

La Bella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:42 AM

crunch:

Actually we learned about Las Brisas from a coment that you or your husband made a few months ago on this site, where you recommended Fulvio.

It was a great piece of information.

Thanks,

La Bella

#10 La Bella

La Bella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:57 AM

I, too, would love to hear of your adventures while you are here. Which condo complex are you renting in? I agree that this 4 months is the perfect way to gauge weather conditions in Cozumel. Bring some mosquito repellant with Deet in it! Nothing here keeps them away and they are fierce this year. Part of tropical life ;)

Kandy:

You are so right about the mosquitos.....they are vampires... had to get some insect repellent....When do they go away????? :o

La Bella

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:23 PM

The mosquitos come out 10 days to two weeks after there's been a lot of rain as they breed in standing water.  September and October are typically the worst months.  When the trades are blowing strongly as they so often are on the island, you won't see the little buggers.  Special care should be taken when there are a lot of mosquitos, however. If you find yourself sitting somewhere where you actually notice them hovering around you -- as in no wind and it's rained recently -- pick up and move on to a breezy place or go inside. Some mosquitos carry dengue fever.  Dengue seldom kills anyone but there is no vaccine against it and if you contract it, you will be miserable for several weeks or more.  They keep it under pretty tight control on Cozumel with lots of spraying  in town and a whole core of workers who go door to door inspecting premises  for breeding areas like old buckets half full of water, etc. And you can even go down to the health department and get free tablets to put in wells/pozo's or if, say,  your garden is flooded after a big rain and stays moist for a long time.   Dunno if they do same for the beach front zones???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users