It is in Cozumel as well as Carmen and Tulum. Here is part 2 of the article:

http://krebsonsecuri...-ii/#more-32267

#2 Eileen

Eileen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:48 AM

It seems that they are the standalone white-label machines vs. bank machines.

#3 WildBill

WildBill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, Photography, Writing, Traveling

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:59 AM

It seems that they are the standalone white-label machines vs. bank machines.

I have emailed the author of this article with precisely that question. Will post it up as soon as I get it.

#4 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:28 PM

I've had my card information stolen at least  5 times but never in Mexioo, only in the states. When I have called up the fraud number for Master card or Visa trying to report where I believe it was taken from they don't seem interested. I've always had my money reimbursed to my account so other than having to wait for another card to be sent to me it hasn't caused me any problems. I always bring a couple of different sources to obtain money while in Mexico so if it doesn't bother the banks to refund my money and I am not losing anything I don't even worry about it. All my cards have fraud protection and I always check my accounts at least every two days so I know if there are charges that shouldn't be there. If all my cards get compromised I can still have a new card Fed-Ex down to me in a few days.

None of my cards I use in Mexico are linked to any other accounts and I keep only a week or two worth of money on each card so I can't lose that much even if the bank refuses to reimburse me for some strange reason. I refill my cards online a few days before they run out of money. No worries here, if the banks don't worry about it I don't either.

#5 WildBill

WildBill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, Photography, Writing, Traveling

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:17 PM

I've had my card information stolen at least  5 times but never in Mexioo, only in the states. When I have called up the fraud number for Master card or Visa trying to report where I believe it was taken from they don't seem interested. I've always had my money reimbursed to my account so other than having to wait for another card to be sent to me it hasn't caused me any problems. I always bring a couple of different sources to obtain money while in Mexico so if it doesn't bother the banks to refund my money and I am not losing anything I don't even worry about it. All my cards have fraud protection and I always check my accounts at least every two days so I know if there are charges that shouldn't be there. If all my cards get compromised I can still have a new card Fed-Ex down to me in a few days.

None of my cards I use in Mexico are linked to any other accounts and I keep only a week or two worth of money on each card so I can't lose that much even if the bank refuses to reimburse me for some strange reason. I refill my cards online a few days before they run out of money. No worries here, if the banks don't worry about it I don't either.

Steve,

Totally respect your position on this. But cant agree with all of it. I can see how someone who uses a hacked unit gets ripped off and that leaves a big ol negative impression on them - and then that experience reflecting on that "corrupt island" I was on, Cozumel. "Yeah, I got ripped off, I'm never going back there again." Being ripped off they tell family, friends, post on the web, post with the cruise line etc. etc. The people of Cozumel who work there and raise their families there don't deserve being labeled that way. Cozumel is a great place. Mostly the average Joe knows better than to stick his atm card into a no name machine. But there is going to be the one or two that use it anyway, probably the same people who post up on trip advisor wanting to know if Coz is safe.

I just feel a little differently, I don't like cyber gangs ripping people off, as consumers we all wind up on the paying end of businesses that have to spend money to defend against this kind of crime. Your bank may pay you back your loss, but that loss is going to show up somewhere on the ledger and John Q Public always foots the bill. Its just wrong and not good.

Nuff said, I haven't received a reply from the writer but have re-read both articles and examined the pictures carefully and it seems that some of the white CardTronics machines in Cozumel on Melgar and the Cancun airport are hacked.

I will post the response when it comes.

#6 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:22 PM

He stated he did not find it on Bank ATM machines.... phew... for now. Waiting to read part 3

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#7 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:50 PM

Those stand alone non-bank ATMs are not something I would use, EVER. I always avoided even the bank ATMs at the grocery stores. I stick to the ATMs at banks and in over 20 years, I have never had a problem. As to the instrument of the problem, I'd check out the person who fills them with cash money. Being an International tourist destination makes a perfect target. I can recall several arrests of South American representatives of global networks. Mexico is not the source, look for links to Eastern Europe or Asia.

#8 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:36 AM

Me neither Charles.

It is interesting that the 1st one he found was in the hotel lobby.   Yikes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users