4 replies to this topic

#1 WildBill

WildBill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, Photography, Writing, Traveling

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

Here is part three, I'll save the suspense, here is the last paragraph of the article, the answer many of us have been patiently waiting for.

"Finally, many readers have asked if any of the skimmed ATMs I found in Mexico were bank-owned and operated ATMs, or machines on the premises of bank properties. None of them were: All were free-standing cash machines owned and operated by private companies."

http://krebsonsecuri...ming-in-mexico/

#2 Eileen

Eileen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:39 AM

Good to know.  I thought that was likely the case.

#3 WildBill

WildBill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, Photography, Writing, Traveling

Posted 18 September 2015 - 11:00 AM

It is good to know that none of these machines were inside of our favorite Mexican banks. But it is equally good to know that this element is out there and gunning for your pin and card number - aka $$$$$$$.

Where there is money there will be the drive to acquire it illegally. Be aware, be safe and have fun.

Next time you walk down Melgar and see one of those white Cardtronics machines, look around and see who is fiddling with their smart phone in front of it. You might be looking at the face of a hacking gang member.

Have a great weekend!
WildBill

#4 Eileen

Eileen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:28 PM

Since my neighbour is the senior vice president for Scotiabank with responsibility for their international banking, I will likely share this with him, if he isn't already aware.

#5 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:14 PM

It seems this is becoming a big problem. From the sites I have checked out it seems that the majority believe it is Russian backed. The free2move logo is a default name for the chip that is used and not being that current on the technology I don't know if that name can be erased and written over to change the name.

I guess you should be more alert when taking out money. To my way of thinking it seem like owning a bunch of ATM machines would be a good way to launder money. I have no clue what regulations there are for the machines but stocking it with money you wanted cleaned would be an easy way to do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users