• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 SavageRose

SavageRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:01 PM

I'm getting a lot of ideas about where to stay and eat cheap and it looks like staying in the town is the way to go with our budget. But we want to go to the beaches! How do we do that? The boys want to rent mopeds. What do you think?

#2 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:08 PM

Mopeds are very, very dangerous. I would not presume to tell anyone what to do, but after all the terrible suffering I have seen caused by riding these things I would never let anyone I loved ride one.

Beaches: With beach clubs--all over the West side and 4-5 on the East side. Beautiful beaches with nobody around--East side, the earlier the better.

Have a fun and safe trip!

Cozumel Diving

#3 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:19 PM

Do NOT rent scooters. Traffic, one way streets, pot holes, scenic distractions, speed bumps. There are accidents everyday there. It would cost less for two or more people to rent a car. Travel south from town and stop wherever you see something interesting. Snorkel at Money Bar and/or Corona Beach. Chankanaab is cool if you've never been there but the entrance fee is now $19. U.S....most places don't charge an entrance fee but you need to order some food and/or drinks. Keep driving around the southern tip of the island and visit the eco park there maybe. Enjoy the beautiful east side, stopping at whatever beach club strikes your fancy. The undertow on the east side can be strong so be careful! There are little bays at Chen Rio for wading for the kids. Be sure to stop at Coconuts for photo ops and a drink.

#4 SavageRose

SavageRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:37 PM

I'm going to have a hard time talking the guys out of renting scooters. Is it really that bad? And if we don't rent those, what else can we rent that would fit four people and how much would we have to pay? Sorry for all the qustions but this is really helping me

#5 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

YES! It really IS that bad. People always say "oh, well, that won't happen to me"...but it certainly can. What a way to ruin a vacation. Why take the chance? Are they experienced on a moped? Not a motorcycle...a moped. Driving one is different than a regular motorcycle. If you do a search on other boards regarding scooters you'll get an idea of how foolish it is to rent one. I don't imagine the new software on this board will enable you to do a search on here. Even if your guys are experienced, please know that lots of tourists driving cars are busy looking around and might not notice them...taxis notice you on a scooter but don't care. Other drivers will cut in front of you or turn in front of you etc...so even if your guys are very careful.... "the other guy" could cause a disaster. Also...if an accident occurs you must pay for the damage IN CASH before you are allowed to leave the island. For $35. to $50. you can rent a car or jeep. The convertible VW bugs are fun.

#6 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

Almost all of the moped accidents I have seen over the years had nothing to do with the traffic around them. They were the direct fault of the moped driver and not the result of some action by "the other guy".

Cozumel Diving

#7 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:16 PM

Scooters are $20/day and compact cars/VWs are $35/day. Even at 2 people on a scooter the math is in the favor of the cars which also have a trunk to lock up your stuff.

Scooters on Cozumel are very dangerous. A trip to the hospital is really not the way to spend Spring Break.

Here's a link to our favorite rental place:

http://www.islacozum.../services/isis/

The owners name is Margarita. She will take great care of you.

#8 nascarcharchar

nascarcharchar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Boating, Nascar, Golf, PBR Bullriding (Not Myself, just on TV), Cooking

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:54 PM

I second Beach Bum's suggestion of Margarita. That is the only person we rent from. Her email address is rentadoraisis@prodigy.net.mx When we were there in December she had some very cute convertible VW's for rent. You can also get on her website and see the pricing. Everyone is right about not renting scooters. We used to and gave it up because it is too stressful watching out for everything.

#9 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

This is the PERFECT post for you and the guys to read. Go to Tripadvisor Cozumel Discussions and look for a post called "Cozumel the good and the bad". It says it all.

#10 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:38 PM

Here's a link to pecosgirl's story.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k2863131-Cozumel_the_good_and_the_bad-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

#11 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:04 PM

OMG, made me sick

#12 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:08 PM

I'll never forget the couple I help a get police report from their accident. They are divers that returned a year after the accident and wanted the report to see if there was any recourse against the driver. They weren't even at fault for the accident. A VW bug bumped then while they were crossing east to west on the Transversal.

The woman could no longer dive, because her injuries from the accident included a punctured lung, along with broken ribs, a think a bruised liver and I can't recall what else, but they were extensive.

I just not worth the risk for the few bucks you might save over renting a car.

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:37 PM

Savage Rose...now do you see why those of us who have witnessed, and helped at accident scenes don't want you, or your friends riding scooters.

If your friends insist then I would strongly suggest they carry the following information on them:

Hotel they are staying at
Medication they are currently taking
Allergic reactions to any med's
Next of Kin (with phone numbers)
High credit limit on their credit card
Copy of their passport, and Visa
Drivers license
Copy of their tourist insurance
Where they want to be Medi-Vaced too (that can cost between $9K to 35K)

Rent anything that has 4 wheels...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#14 SavageRose

SavageRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:26 PM

You guys got me convinced about the scooters :ph34r: Now I have to work on the boys. I think I'll print this stuff out for them to read. This forum has really helped me with my planning and now maybe it will save me from getting hurt :( Thanks a lot everybody!

#15 AvianQuest

AvianQuest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:14 PM

pecosgirl's story, only scratches the surface. I've read that 6 to 12 riders a day are brought in by ambulance and that's just at one of the hospitals. Seems like one person a week dies. Most of them are heartbreaking stories...kids on spring break, brides on their honeymoon, couples from cruise ships, wife on first anniversary trip.

I personally saw two scooter wreaks the last time I was there and it was locals both times. With tourists it's really dangerous. Here's the deal....if the island were totally deserted and only one person was there riding a scooter, it would still be dangerous because people get distracted by animals and scenery and the next thing they know they are wheels up doing the cheese grader thing on the highway. Worse yet is having two or more people riding in a group, and when you add traffic, the odds of getting hurt, or worse, just aren't in your favor.

One of the spots that gets regular ambulance pickups is just south of town on the old road where the road does an S-curve and suddenly you break out from the trees and get your first glimpse of this view before losing control...

http://i236.photobuc...-Chankanaab.jpg

#16 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:27 PM

Just for the record...I didn't write the story and it's not me in the story. But ouch...it hurts to read it...si?

#17 eaton53

eaton53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Bowling, Sports, Computers... I'm a Senior Product Designer and Engineering Project Manager. Been to Cozumel a few times.

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

I'd tell them no scooters and that would be that.
Kids will do all kinds of dumb stuff if you just let them do whatever they want.

#18 eaton53

eaton53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Bowling, Sports, Computers... I'm a Senior Product Designer and Engineering Project Manager. Been to Cozumel a few times.

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:54 AM

"One of the spots that gets regular ambulance pickups is just south of town on the old road where the road does an S-curve and suddenly you break out from the trees and get your first glimpse of this view before losing control..."

Dude where we were staying got wiped out on that road. A pothole took him out.
Broken collarbone, rashed side and up leg. I asked the guy what happened but I already knew...

#19 eaton53

eaton53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:14 PM

Here's a link to pecosgirl's story.

I broke both collarbones a year apart when I was a kid. Yeah, it hurts a lot when you break your collarbone.

There was a silver lining to mine... I'm left handed and broke that one first, so I had to do everything right handed.
Then I broke the right one and switched back. As a result I'm really ambidextrous... I do lots of stuff right handed.
The weirdest one is serving a volleyball left handed and a tennis ball right handed.

#20 lexicon

lexicon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, walking, pets and all animal life, beaches. lots of sun, good Mexican food.

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

I know this may sound like we were idiots, but when my husband and I were in Cozumel just a month ago, we decided to go to several beaches on the west side. We were driving on the new coastal road going south. Do you think that we go find one of those well-advertised beaches? No way. We looked for signage as we drove but couldn't locate any of the entrances to any of these well-known beaches. Were we on the wrong road or what? Is there no signs indicating the roads to these beaches? Help please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users