12 replies to this topic

#1 La Bella

La Bella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Travel, reading, jewlery making, swimming

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:51 AM

When I went to Banamex bank last week there were 6 soldiers with guns outside the bank door.

Does anyone know why?????

La Bella

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:04 PM

That was most likely the armored car guys picking up and/or delivering cash.  That's a regular sight here.  Although 6 guys with guns is twice what you usually see.  Usually 3.

#3 La Bella

La Bella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:10 PM

That was most likely the armored car guys picking up and/or delivering cash.  That's a regular sight here.  Although 6 guys with guns is twice what you usually see.  Usually 3.

That is what I thought, but we were in the bank for 45 minutes and the soldiers were still there.........

#4 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:16 PM

I've seen them there too, just a couple guys, I even took a picture. Husband told me that probably wasn't a good idea...

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:22 PM

They've been doing it that way for the entire 12 years I've lived here.  Nothing new.  Although 6 instead of 3 is bumping up the game.  Maybe the other guys were in training.

#6 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:28 PM

Making a withdrawal for the upcoming payday? They were soldiers in military uniforms?

Did they seem nervous? Did you notice if their rifles were still on safety? Any sign of struggle or disruption inside?

I don't know how they are doing soldier's pay anymore, in cash or electronically. Transporting official, government money demands security and tight custody control. Six or eight well armed soldiers outside used to be the norm. It would raise eyebrows of tourists in the downtown square many who had never seen automatic weapons before, especially in Mexican tourist zones.

#7 La Bella

La Bella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:28 PM

They've been doing it that way for the entire 12 years I've lived here.  Nothing new.  Although 6 instead of 3 is bumping up the game.  Maybe the other guys were in training.

LOL ..... training with automatic rifles......I get a bit nervous !!!!!!! :unsure:

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:45 PM

If you drive along highways on the mainland it's a regular sight to see very young soldiers armed with machine guns at the various road blocks.  Just the way they do it here and you get used to it.

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:48 PM

I personally have never seen more than 4 guys, Charles.  But you've lived on Cozumel a lot longer than I have.  And maybe I never happened to be at a bank on payday.

#10 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:03 PM

Armored car guards have detailed training and subject to strict hiring selection process. Military is like you say, often young conscripts simply fulfilling their military service obligation so it takes more to provide "needed security". Back during the Chiapas conflict, I slowly became accustomed to being lined on by the side of the bus, held at gun point while identification was checked. The majority of soldiers along the main highways were young guys doing their "military duty" while the real bad asses, the ones that thrived on bloodshed (murder and torture)were back in the jungle. They're mostly not dangerous (I never got confirmation that they actually had bullets in Cozumel), JUST DON'T MAKE ANY SUDDEN MOVES!

#11 La Bella

La Bella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:46 PM

I remember a few years ago when we were in Greece, all policemen carried Uzis....that was impressive. 

After our 2nd week, I got use to it........

So next time I see a few soldiers with rifles,  I won't be a surprise.......

Thanks,

La Bella

#12 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:00 PM

I find it fascinating to check out the sub-guns and battle rifles. It is often an eclectic mix.  Some of the dearest little sub guns too...

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#13 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:13 PM

I think they have better security around the ice machines. Nobody is getting out with a free bag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users