• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 YoloCoz

YoloCoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:28 AM

Plus one for Bodega Aurerra...particularly for booze. 39P for  750 ml rum....99P for 1.5 liters of tequila?! yes please :-) Yes...I drink the cheap stuff :-) Enough lime juice can fix anything!

#22 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:02 AM

Eww.  Life is too short for bad tequila.  Hornitos or Tradicional at least....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#23 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:44 PM

Tequila is so much less expensive there that we stopped buying our usual stateside mixing tequila (El Jimador, Mexico's best-selling brand) and just go ahead and use a good reposado such as Corralejo for margaritas, palomas, tequila and Cokes... Even a really nice añejo (for which I also like Corralejo) for sipping is quite affordable.

I find that for nearly every sort of booze, from liquor to Champagne, my personal preference is nearly always towards the middle of the market and that I tend not to like the most expensive brands. I suppose exceptions might be claret and sauternes, but probably because I grew up around wine geeks and thought d'Yqem and Petrus were everyday tipples. I definitely enjoy a $30 champoo lots more than a $300 one even if I can sucker someone else into paying, and would take Hornitos (or better, Corralejo) over free Patrón or Don Anything any time. I think that too often supposed "refinement" actually means "flavor diminution".

Keeping that sort of prejudice in mind, look for Jarana tequila reposado pretty much everywhere, which I think is a great value for quite inexpensive tequila. I will bet you nearly anything that the sprits at those prices at Mama Lucha's were "rum-like" and "tequila-ish" rather than the real things. I think 99 pesos is likely to be more than the producer's cost for a license to use the term "tequila", let alone the bottle, label, and transportation costs, never mind the contents.

Aren't the prices quoted above pushing the price of the legendarily cheap and awful Tonayán, paint stripper/starter fluid/blessing to Mexican hepatologists* marketed as allegedly consumable by humans? It resembles tequila in some ways (for example, it's a liquid at room temperature) and could induce sufficient brain damage to be mistaken for tequila in the dark (for example, by causing a stroke affecting gustatory pathways). My wife bought a somewhat more highly-regarded caña as a lark and I was fond enough of it that I was literally afraid to pour it down the sink but even more afraid to put in the trash where a child or derelict might be harmed by it. I think it resides in the permanent collection of the toxic waste section in our bodega.

*or, for all I know, herpetologists, though likely for different reasons.

#24 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:24 AM

LOL.  Great thread.

#25 La Bella

La Bella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Travel, reading, jewlery making, swimming

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:52 AM

Well,  we have been here for a month and I found myself going to El Mercado, Mega and Cherdaui for groceries. 

This is fine, we have all the time in the world..................

Have not tried Aki since I was told is not that good.

Thanks,

La bella

#26 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:15 PM

Just because someone says Aki is no good you really need to try it yourself. Opinions differ. I don't shop there a lot but every once in a while they have something I want that no one else has.

Take a trip to Pascadelli's just to see what they have to offer. They can even order items for you that you can't find on the island. 

Wednesdays are the best days to shop at Mega as they are putting out their fresh produce that has just arrived.

#27 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:02 PM

Aki is just fine. They have good prices on liquor, and carry the Havana Club 3 Años that Mega does not and the D'Aristi Xtabentún that Chedraui does not. They have decent produce and groceries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users